Author: vincent01

Chinese students lost in the dream of studying in USA   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-13 13:12:03 |Display all floors
15.jpg

In order to vitalize Chinese students’ social life and get them out of their dorm rooms, the university has organized an elaborate Disney-themed costume party. Yvette Zhang, the student assistant at the residence hall, knocks on door after door to invite Chinese students to the party.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 13:14:02 |Display all floors
16.jpg

At the party, almost all Chinese students stand aside as spectators. The atmosphere is awkward. Most of the time they simply beat time to the music.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 13:17:14 |Display all floors
16.jpg

Bill Zhang, 20, arrived six months ago. He only hangs out with Chinese students and has no American friends. Because he speaks very limited English, Bill struggles with the heavy burden from his language program. He jokes with friends, while smoking, “I don’t like to stay here. Too many Chinese. No chance to practice English.” The university assumed that international students will gradually move out after they assimilate into the campus. It does not work out well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 13:18:21 |Display all floors
17.jpg

Clara Zhang, 19, paid an admissions agent 25,000 yuan to prepare her application materials, and has come to study International Trade, hoping to work at the company her relatives run in the future. “I want my skin to be whiter, just like that of an American,” Clara said. However, the American roommate that the university pairs her with never shows up. Clara, now living alone, spends most of her time in the library and her dorm room preparing for Toefl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 13:19:15 |Display all floors
17.jpg

Andy and Popo are very active in various kinds of Chinese-led student organizations. But they dislike the American party culture that centers around drinking and making a scene. “Here, some students only focus on studying every day without an ideal or dream. We are different. We have many plans for our future,” Andy said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 13:20:42 |Display all floors
18.jpg

In 2011, nearly 60,000 Chinese undergraduates were studying in the U.S. – an increase of 43 percent from 2010. However, behind the figure are one hollow American dream after another of young and immature students. “Americans are very friendly. But it’s hard to make friends with them if your English is not good,” Clara said, “I look forward to real campus life. Looking at how American students walk and eat, I guess I haven’t tasted that type of life yet.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-14 10:25:27 |Display all floors
This is what you expect when you have a bunch of kids who is brought up in a gilded cage, they lack any independence or courage, to present their own vision overseas. You don't need to party or accept other things that don't suit you, but the worst thing you can do is go there, hide among the same type of people and do nothing, it's a weak mentality of not wanting to move outside your comfort zone and accept new challenges, usually kids that are spoiled from very young. Even alone you can do so much things on your own, but like i said the quality is not there, you have a bunch of materialistic and superficial kids brought up with no self independence which leads to no self confidence as well, this is what you get.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.