Author: goldengrove

Shanghai police brush up English as the number of foreigners rises   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-10 22:51:05 |Display all floors
Well i feel its good that they are learing english.    We never know when we need to go to a police station and need someone to understand what we are saying.  I have met a couple of police officers in shenzhen and the english level was really good.  
Then once someone stole my bag in a restaurant and i lost my passport, money, house keys, car papers and driving licence.  When i went to complain, the police officer spoke very good english.  And was really quite helpful.  He guided me as to what would be the next proceedure for getting an exit visa.
Further he also asked someone to help me out at the Visa office.   Being obliged i invited him for dinner but he politely refused.   
if you can be happy with what you have, dont wait for more

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-10 23:11:19 |Display all floors
I think it is not necessary to enhance the cop's English language service quality by training through extenal agency. As in shanghai , there are some demands to cope with crimes involving foreigners and spoken English is the daily work language for some positions.
However, there are have two ways to achieve the above goal.
The first one is just like the way mentioned by the news, traing the assigned cops.
The other one is to recruit new employees from the universities, who has mastered English fluently. It is  feasible method because getting a job in the police office as a civil servant is desired by many students.
Therefore, our government should make full use of the abundant graduates, which can not only reduce the training cost and solve the employment problem of the graduates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 08:30:35 |Display all floors
Good Idea,  But I really think the Shanghai Poltice should focus more on policing the TRAFFIC in Shanghai. I live in Shanghai.
Playing Mahjong in Hangzhou world competition.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 16:13:29 |Display all floors
idorun Post time: 2012-4-11 08:30
Good Idea,  But I really think the Shanghai Poltice should focus more on policing the TRAFFIC in Sha ...

Well, that's for the traffic police

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 16:14:18 |Display all floors
Johnson.yang Post time: 2012-4-10 23:11
I think it is not necessary to enhance the cop's English language service quality by training throug ...

Good point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-14 22:20:37 |Display all floors
idorun Post time: 2012-4-10 19:30
Good Idea,  But I really think the Shanghai Poltice should focus more on policing the TRAFFIC in Sha ...

Well thr real police are not seen during the very busy times in Shanghai . It is the Volunteer people at the intersections that do the best job and they only are at the very busy intersections. The only time you see the traffic poltice out is very early in the morning to catch certain illegal License plated cars ; very minor stuff. I never seen these guys ; working when they are needed. The only other time you see these POLICE out in full force is when there an official coming to visit some othe roffical . They line the road that the OFFICAL is driving on. When he passes they disappear in there little offices. They have bike poltice that don't get involved in the traffic. Drivers do not care about the police. A fine in Shanghai for a serious violation would be 50 RMB ,,,The other times they come out is to take care of an accident situation ; if you do not call them they will not come to a fender bender , only if some one is killed ; which happens quite to often in Shanghai, Bqad drivers and bad driver habits and lack of rules make the roads in Shanghai very dangerous .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-14 22:26:10 |Display all floors
One more comment on the English that the POLICE are learning in Shanghai; it is taught by Chinese people who learned English from UK . This English is mostly Slang . I don't personally know a good Chinese English teacher in Shanghai that knows the proper English . I myself teach CANADIAN ENGLISH in CANADA and privately in Shanghai ..I know POLICE who speak English ; but it was Chinglish they were talking to me in.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.