Author: goldengrove

Shanghai police brush up English as the number of foreigners rises   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-9 19:52:03 |Display all floors
greatlady Post time: 2012-4-9 17:27
No, it is for work and good service purposes.

There are many police who speak very fluent English  ...

You are right in saying that police's speaking better English is helpful when it comes to visa or immigration matters. But I do take issue with this particular scheme.

For one thing, it's much more expensive to hire native speakers and even more so if you are trained one-on-one. I have nothing personal against foreign teachers. But would it be cheaper and perhaps better if we hire local teachers?

For another, there's this publicity issue. Well, I mean it's only 30 police officers, and you can totally carry out this scheme quietly. Why bring it to the media? And forgive me for saying that in identifying "Wall Street English", the English training agency, I see explicit product placement.

I do admit that the police may genuinely intend to improve their service, but this particular scheme is developed for rather short-term purposes, which is simply unsustainable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 20:00:59 |Display all floors
468259058 Post time: 2012-4-9 18:49
hahahahaah..

Thanks for the screen grab, but I see no relevance here.

No difference in treatment between Chinese and foreign nationals? That's only the claim or the theory. That Japanese lost his bicycle and he reclaimed in little more than a day. I have lost half a dozen by now, and the policemen just told me, "Sorry, but we can't possibly find them."

Apparently they can, but only if they are willing to.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-4-9 20:08:58 |Display all floors
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-9 20:00
Thanks for the screen grab, but I see no relevance here.

No difference in treatment between Chin ...

hahahahhaha.
1. You didn't know the irony words in my posts because you didn't read the hot news about the Shenzhen bike lost case.
3万元山地车丢失 网友说不是外国人估计找不回来_新闻台_中国网络... [size=-1]2012年4月8日...深圳南山蛇口的胡先生2012年4月3日下午2时许到中国电信蛇口营业厅办理业务,将一辆造型独特的“左撇子”山地车停放在门口,结果不翼而飞。 录像:显示...

2. No difference? hahahha..apparently you didn't read through my post.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-9 20:17:29 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 19:26
In Spain or France, not once I came across a street cop who can speak English!

Lucky for me, I ca ...

Agreed, I also wish France and Spain (the two biggest tourist destinations in the world !) would have street cops speaking english AS WELL AS english signs.

Hell, even in Disneyland Paris nothing's written in english.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-10 09:46:19 |Display all floors
Brushing up English is necessary for every Chinese, not to mention polices. Most of the senior poice officers are at the age of 40s, or 50s. Compared with the people aged 20s and 30s, their English must be poorer. English is not ony used in communicating with foreigners. With a better reading skills, searching foreign websites can be easy, which means getting foreign information become a easy and common thing.Public Security Bureau doesn't need to employ specified professionals to collect information. Officers will connect with the outside more directly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-10 10:17:53 |Display all floors
You're under arrest, Capitalist Running Dog!

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-10 14:24:30 |Display all floors
Sheila_Z Post time: 2012-4-10 09:46
Brushing up English is necessary for every Chinese, not to mention polices. Most of the senior poice ...

I actually didn't consider this angle. Crime being more and more international, it makes sense that chinese policemen and women need to speak better english in order to cooperate more efficiently with their foreign counterparts.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.