Author: goldengrove

Shanghai police brush up English as the number of foreigners rises   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-9 17:56:44 |Display all floors
esp.those who work for visa issues.

I dunno about Shanghai but after learning Chinese for 3 months my Chinese level was higher than the english level at the Visa counter of the PSB Offices in some other major Chinese cities... so there I think some better english skills could actually help a lot (although I believe that foreigners who live in China should at least learn some basic mandarin, but that's not so likely to happen as many foreigners believe Chinese was a difficult language and therefore don't even start learning it...)

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-4-9 18:47:06 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 16:39
Rather than brushing up English, these Chinese cops should be told to read their rule books more.

L ...

agree.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 18:49:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-4-9 19:09
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-9 16:45
On the other hand, when some foreigners do go to the local police, the case may turn into one of national importance or even with international implications as one Japanese whose bike was stolen in Wuhan would tell you.
Well, I guess "face" is at least one of the reasons behind this initiative.

hahahahaah..
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 19:14:12 |Display all floors
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-9 17:15
That civil servant sheme is a total waste of money.

Though you are mainland China's citizen,
Though you have rights and responsibillities to contact your representatives in National congress to oppose the sheme,
However, you can do nothing in practice.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-9 19:17:13 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 16:39
Rather than brushing up English, these Chinese cops should be told to read their rule books more.

L ...

Damn, second time I agree with you today !
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 19:21:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-4-9 19:21
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-4-9 19:17
Damn, second time I agree with you today !

hahahahah

1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-9 19:23:29 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 19:12
But what of the benefit/cost?
What are the cost training two million cops to give English service  ...
Chinese tax payers should not be asked to provide 5* treatment for visiting aliens.

Ha, finally we disagree :)

Ideally Chinese taxpayers should provide a 5* treatment to EVERYBODY, including chinese nationals, foreigners living and working in China as well as tourists.

Note that this goes for every other country !

I hope China could get some inspiration from Thailand police. There is the regular police, who may or may not speak English since Thailand is a sovereign country. Then there is the tourist police where all officers are required to speak English. Tourists have to deal with the tourist police (you can't decently ask tourist to speak the language for 1 or 2 weeks holidays...), expats have to deal with the regular police.

I find this is a good compromise.

To answer Everynowhere, foreigners living in China have to register to the police station everytime they spend a night somewhere new (they need to write their arrival date and their estimated date of departure), when they get a new visa, when they left the country and came back, when they have a new passport, etc...

Many tourists are also used to ask for directions to police officers (they usually get a nice surprise when they do this in China :) ).

I believe this law is directed toward tourists more than expats.

Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.