Views: 2553|Replies: 2

Perverted Consumer Society, USA ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-7 17:50:07 |Display all floors
Whoops, actually it happened in China.

From "The Age" newspaper

Teen sold kidney to buy iPhone
April 7, 2012 - 2:57PM Read later

Authorities have indicted five people in central China for involvement in illegal organ trading after a teenager sold one of his kidneys to earn money to buy an iPhone and an iPad.

The official Xinhua News Agency reports that prosecutors in the city of Chenzhou charged the suspects with intentional injury for organising the removal and transplant of a kidney from a 17-year-old high school student with the surname Wang.

The defendants include a surgeon, a local hospital contractor and brokers who looked for donors online and leased an operating room to conduct the procedure, Xinhua reported.

Advertisement: Story continues below

About 1.5 million people in China need transplants, but only around 10,000 transplants are performed each year, fuelling the illegal trade of organs.

"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-7 18:58:31 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-8 02:14:20 |Display all floors
There is another thread about this currently running and I have have had a discussion this evening with someone about law and human rights. My point about this is, if we have total freedom then how come we do not even own our own body? Isn't that what human rights is about, the right to have free will and free choices. Please do not get me wrong as I am encouraged that the police are taking action. But whose body is it anyway, and why does a person not have the right to decide what to do with it?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.