Views: 8498|Replies: 45

Are Chinese workers underpaid?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-6 10:40:17 |Display all floors

According to a recent UN International Labor Organization (ILO) report, the average wage of workers in the Chinese mainland is less than half of the world average when measured by global purchasing power.

The ILO report found wage earners in China made an average 4134 yuan or just $656 a month, ranking 57th out of the 72 countries or regions covered.

China’s Hong Kong and Macau did better, ranked in the 30th and 52nd spots respectively, with average wages of $1,545 in Hong Kong and $758 in Macau. The salary is not calculated in normal US dollars but in purchasing power parity dollars. The value of one PPP dollar equals what a US dollar can buy in the United States.

According to the calculation, Chinese mainland individuals need to earn 6,000 yuan, or $952 a month, to have purchasing power equal to the world’s average. Last year’s income data from the National Bureau of Statistics of China showed that average wages for urban residents was 1,998 yuan a month in 2011.

Are the Chinese workders underpaid, as measured against the ILO standards? Should the wage in a country be calculated in PPP terms or in absolute terms? Or both?

Share your thoughts with us.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-6 10:49:35 |Display all floors
If you compared Chinese wages to 20 years ago it would reveal a striking difference and represent an advance to be admired.

However, if you compare current Chinese wages to the rest of the world's formerly richest countries you will find that many of the highest paid countries have no jobs and have reached a level of increasing unsustainability.

No job is no job no matter what the pay level and you can check with India and Africa for that score of what real poverty looks like.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-6 15:47:33 |Display all floors
{:soso_e149:}well, average wage is not the wage we ordinary people get every month,never forget the increasing income gap in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-6 15:50:05 |Display all floors
向导户外-Lucy Post time: 2012-4-6 15:47
well, average wage is not the wage we ordinary people get every month,never forget the  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-6 16:07:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by goldengrove at 2012-4-6 16:07

"According to the calculation, Chinese mainland individuals need to earn 6,000 yuan, or $952 a month, to have purchasing power equal to the world’s average."

Data from China's National Bureau of Statistics show that average wages for urban residents was 1,998 yuan a month in 2011.

A yawning gap.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-6 16:24:39 |Display all floors
And speaking of Chinese workers, I also have something to say about foreign employees who work in China.

Nothing personal against them, but I do hold a grudge against those who are doing the same job as Chinese but are paid ten times more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-7 00:15:08 |Display all floors
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-6 16:24
And speaking of Chinese workers, I also have something to say about foreign employees who work in Ch ...

i do agree ,   i work and live in uk and agree it would be unfare for any outsider to be paid more than the regular worker, if was a techer in china, i would expect tha same wage as the other teachers. special treatment leeds to resentment. and bad feeling   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.