Author: JFenix

Not Chinese enough in China? Chinese-Americans caught between 2 worlds [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-1 23:29:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JFenix at 2012-4-1 23:38
fredius Post time: 2012-4-1 22:57
Ok, that's a good reason... But in present America, and after all the struggle to set ethnic equal ...

Well everyone is just 'american', but the hyphens are usually preferred to distinguish themselves and/or recognize their ethnicity.  It's something to be proud of the way I see it.  

Like it or not, there are certain issues and culture that are inherent to each ethnic group.  Assimilation doesn't mean erasing your identity.  So, when you talk of these issues, than the hyphen comes in to make it understandable.  
Think about the article above, how confusing would it be if it was talked of just 'americans' in China having trouble fitting in.  Would you get the picture that the americans were of chinese descent?  Does it matter in this case?  I think so.  So, that is why we need it.

As for europeans, we don't call ourselves British-american or German-americans because we are so mixed  now.  It would be hard to find a 'british-american'.  I've only met one in my lifetime.  Most of us are mutts.  And we're caught in this spot where showing ethnic pride is a sign of supremacy, so it's really not as acceptable for european-americans to talk or boost of our ethnicity/nationality.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-2 06:25:29 |Display all floors
The problem is that European Americans have yet to accept other types of Americans as true Americans. The fundamental problem of inequality remains.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-2 07:49:06 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-4-1 21:12
Asian body with a Western mind
Although Jen believes mainstream Chinese attitudes toward overseas Ch ...

Chu, and Locke are definitely 100% running dogs for the western establishment and corrupt to the core. people like that have no national loyalty. keep in mind that many Chinese who wish to immigrate to america are corrupt to begin with, so what do you expect? most Chinese that i know who want to go to america are some of the most greedy, and selfish Chinese i've ever met. i've also met lots of Chinese americans who are very interested in overthrowing the Chinese government, and creating a comfortable climate for western multinationals. generally speaking, the more money a Chinese american makes, the less patriotic they are, and the more willing they are to sabatoge China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-2 08:06:46 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-4-1 21:12
Asian body with a Western mind
Although Jen believes mainstream Chinese attitudes toward overseas Ch ...

all of these people featured in this article were cherry picked. there are tons of Chinese in western countries that go back to China after 50yrs, and assimilate immediately. even black people feel right at home in China. many of the black panther leaders said that they never felt liberated before in their lives until they went to China. another Chinese american i know said, that he would never go back to america again, despite the language, and cultural barrier. it didnt matter whether he fit into China or not. she was not going to give up her freedom and go back to live in the fascist, racist police state of america. i know of countless Asian americans of mixed race who absolutely hate it in america, because, even though they are half white, they are still treated with hostility, and contempt for being half Asian. there's a Chinese american who used to be a cop in China. he left right around 1980. this was just when China had liberated its economy. he thought that going to america would be the right thing to do. he had a decent job in China as a cop. he was respected amongst his community, and he had friends and family all around him. had he stayed in China, he would have been a police chief by now. when he moved to america, he ended up working at a restraunt, at the bottom of society. no one respected him, and he was living in the ghetto. his son got beat up all the time, and ended up having to carry a gun to protect himself. he says to himself everyday, that he regrets moving to america, and that his life would have been much better if he had stayed in China. then there was another Chinese american. he left the mainland right before 1949, because he was a land owner. he ended up in hong kong, like many other land owners. there he witnessed many Chinese getting bullied and beaten by british troops. he also would later imigrate to america because he had been fooled into thinking that america was some sort of paradise. he first arrived in america as a student, where he was robbed, and beaten. he was living in such a bad condition that he needed to ask the cops to take him home. he wanted to go back to mainland China within 5yrs of settling in america, but his taiwanese wife would not let him. his taiwanese wife was brain washed from a young age into thinking that america was great, and she wouldnt go back no matter what. his wife was so brain washed, that she thought living in america was good, even though she had no friends, and locked herself in her home everyday out of fear for her safety. she thought everyone wanted to rob her. outside of work, she had no life. the taiwanese woman was alienated from her family, and suicidal. through the years, the man's mental health was getting to him. he hated life. he constantly argued with his kids, and wife. all he could dream about was going back to China. he always told his kids how great China was. although he made good money, he and his family were miserable. he never got to live out his dream because he died of cancer before he got to retire. the medical treatment he received in the usa was inferior.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.