Author: voice_cd

Have you cleared your misconceptions about China?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-3-29 13:03:27 |Display all floors
All my life I heard about how much more freedom we have in the U.S. compared to communist China.
When I first landed in Beijing I was expecting cloak and dagger occurrences around every corner.
Soon I found out nobody cared about what I said and there was nobody following me wherever I went.
It was just like the U.S. I could go anywhere and say anything I wanted to.
The people I met and all their friends and relatives were as happy and open as any people I met back in the states.
Some people like to vilify things just so they sound worldly. Unless your agenda is the downfall of the current
Chinese government there is nothing to vilify about China. Just go there and enjoy yourself.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 14:01:01 |Display all floors
vanwilder Post time: 2012-3-29 03:36
i heard that China was communist, but it turns out that it's capitalist. i heard China was authorita ...

exactly..
Il heurt de jouer avec le ciel .

follow your heart, touch your dream ,be yourself .dude !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 19:23:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-3-29 19:23

I am adamant that China is still very poor and I have been to China so that is beyond dispute.

A lot of jingoistic nonsense up here but y'all need to feel good and whislt leaders are looting so a case of throw some corn.

Look up PPP and you'd realise very quickly that China overtaking Japan (GDP)  for example is a Pyrrhic one at best and inconsequential. I have also been to Japan and you couldn't compare China to Korea not to talk of Japan.

I also saw a half carved dog hung outside a restaurant which was not pleasant and I always thought that was a misconception.
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 19:32:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-3-29 22:08
vanwilder Post time: 2012-3-29 03:36
i heard that China was communist, but it turns out that it's capitalist. i heard China was authorita ...

You are a very unhappy individual. Don't blame the world, take some initiative and make things happen:) This is capitalism at its best......my Chinese signature is apt in your case:) Old Chinese saying foretold bitterness
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 19:52:35 |Display all floors
China is still developing at best, no doubt about this, about half the population still live within the poverty belt. China have growth dynamism on it's side, that is true for any country
looking to catch up in terms of modernity and lifting more and more poor out of poverty, but in the future growth will be much harder to come by what with rising resource shortages and rising fuel prices, rising wages and standard of living and shortage of labor and the slow global growth and so on. Just set triumphalism aside and see China for what it is, a developing nation, relatively poor in relative terms to many other countries, whose rich are no way near as the rich  from the develop nations. It's good to view something with honesty, Chinese should display their honesty and not just ignorant bias. The good news is that China have some times and room yet from which to grow, the bad news is that good values of humility and effort are forsaken for the sake of triumphalism and ignorance. Many people like to paint a rosy picture about Chinese growth, the realist knows that China have huge roadblocks to overcome ahead and that triumphalism only displays your ignorance and will lead to stagnation.  Most of the modern states already understood this, apart from the USA, and Korea, both countries who also ranked quite high on the ignorant index, a trait which China do seem to like to copy from. In the end nothing will turn out as perfect as you like to think.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 20:31:21 |Display all floors
I don't understand the DL issue at all.

I would of never guessed there was so much hatred towards him or followers in TB.

That came as a shock to me when I joined this forum 2 years ago and I'm still no closer in understanding where the anger is coming from.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-29 21:28:43 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-3-29 13:03
All my life I heard about how much more freedom we have in the U.S. compared to communist China.
Whe ...

That you were able to go anywhere and so on is not a sign of freedom. I have 5 friends in China complain at inability to access common facebook. And there are words that if I typed in here, you will not receive this response.

Ok, Ai Weiwei did not get locked up? China is not suppressing folks like the lawyer in prison and Hu Jia? I'm starting to think for all your talk of being American, you are Chinese! Otherwise you'd see the silliness of comparing US to China in terms of civil liberties and individual freedom and rights.

Gao Zhisheng is a myth then? This CD has become a repository of disgruntled Westerners that have missed out and their local puppeteers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.