Author: UYA

How to join the PRC?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-19 19:08:56 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-3-19 17:54
I hear you....
Most of my students are not "happy campers" about the government.
But this can chan ...

The thing is that it's not a foreign teachers job to promote a "brave new world". It's their job to teach their subject, that's all.
Sharing ideas and beers is all well and good but it pays to be careful who you share them with as much as where, when and which ideas!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-19 19:11:26 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-3-19 18:03
I understand......
There is more to learning than just passing exams.
I want to provide more pract ...

I used to take groups of my students, from a college in Guangzhou, out to dinner at a local restaurant. i never took one, always around 20 or so, simply so they can practice their social English skills outside the boring classroom. I was asked by groups of students to go shopping so I could help them learn practical English regarding this so yes, I do know what you mean.
As I said, best of luck with this!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-19 19:19:46 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-3-19 18:12
East to have a beer with a CPC member, just go to a university and, if allowed, join in the local  ...

It's true.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-19 23:30:32 |Display all floors
468259058 Post time: 2012-3-19 18:19
It's true.

I know it's true. I've taught in numerous colleges and universities around China.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-19 23:38:59 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-3-19 19:08
The thing is that it's not a foreign teachers job to promote a "brave new world". It's their job t ...

I disagree.......

What would be wrong with giving students a humanities or civil servant lesson?
To give them hope and build enthusiasm about their government. Challenge them to use English to understand the benefits (and pitfalls) of western cultures. To ask questions and seek solutions to difficult political and social problems.
Thereby improving their government and the people of China.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-19 23:54:37 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-3-19 19:11
I used to take groups of my students, from a college in Guangzhou, out to dinner at a local restau ...

Thank you for your best wishes.

It is good we both share the value of a students social development. I feel this can go a long way to the future of a students success and fulfillment in life (just as much as good grades). After all, how can we be happy without the interactions of people? These interactions enhance friendships and family.
We can have all the money in the world.....but without "friends and family" one can not be happy.

I look forward to accomplish the goals, in what I think is important to students. It is a great opportunity at the right time in China's history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-19 23:56:30 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-3-19 22:38
I disagree.......

What would be wrong with giving students a humanities or civil servant lesson?

By contract, foreign teachers can't discuss those things. We can discuss life in general but speaking of China's governance is taboo, nor is it any of our business.
Yes, we can use social problems in discussions for the purposes of giving them the correct English for problem solving. No, we can't specifically use China's social problems. I always made a model UN to get around this and it worked while not breaching the contract.
Remember, one dissatisfied student reporting you means trouble!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.