Author: angela627

Gun Crime: Is China Safer than the West?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-16 06:47:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LCSULLA at 2012-3-16 06:56
468259058 Post time: 2012-3-16 06:32
I don't think so.

Yes, there are many other factors, for example:

If gun control is a key factor in homocide rate, explain the difference between canada and US, between US and Mexico,
quintessentially explain why Finland just with knives has such a higher rate than switzerland with automatic rifles and side arms in every household!

Not even Michael Moore was willing to go unscientific enough to explain the violence with just an assumed correlation between firearms and violence/homocides.
There is no statistical ground to support such.

For the US, yes there is high violence,
but it is:
2)exceptional indeed in comparison to the rest of the industrialised nations making up the west,
whilst american liberal gun control is actually not really that unique among those countries.
1)actually not really that exceptional compared to the the entire rest of the world as a whole.

It's a culture thing,
and where people went mad last year in china,
they didn't need guns for high casualty counts either, if you can remember those incidents.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-16 07:19:03 |Display all floors
LCSULLA Post time: 2012-3-16 06:47
If gun control is a key factor in homocide rate, explain the difference between canada and US, betw ...

I don't know the exact weight of the gun control's factors. I also don't know the co-effects among factors.

But definitely gun control is one of key factors. It's a tool of killing other human beings as well as protecting oneself by killing other human beings.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-16 07:28:13 |Display all floors
468259058 Post time: 2012-3-16 07:19
I don't know the exact weight of the gun control's factors. I also don't know the co-effects among ...

In the map in #4, India is in the same shade of blue as China.
(I really would not have guessed so)
Does India have as strict gun control as China, even close?
I would doubt them to be capable of that.
(Just as I would rather doubt them to be capable of almost anything at all)
(Always good when trying to accomondate a chinese in a discussion, to give him the opportunity to feel at least slightly better than India, implying that meant anything.)
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-16 07:29:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-3-16 07:46

If mainland China has the same amount of guns per capita as U.S.A, maybe the present mainland China would go into civil war.

Why did the present party and government invest more and more huge amount of resources and energy in maintaining social stability around China in the past decade? Now, do we feel good and start praising ourselves, or rethinking?
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-3-16 07:32:37 |Display all floors
LCSULLA Post time: 2012-3-15 13:47
truth is,
there is no correlation between gun control and homocide rates among industrialised nati ...

So to make a country safer with your reasoning we should put guns and bullets in vending machines.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-16 07:41:36 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-3-16 07:32
So to make a country safer with your reasoning we should put guns and bullets in vending machines. ...

No,
all I'm saying is that there there is harldy any statistical support for your correlation based on your sample of just two countries.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-3-16 07:49:06 |Display all floors
But Europe doesn't really matter until they grow up and learn to protect themselves.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.