Views: 3305|Replies: 4

Is social skills as important as good qualifications? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-12 00:28:39 |Display all floors
Hi, everyone.

In my country, employers are increasing the importance of good social skills in addition to academic good degree. Do you think that social skills and good qualifications are of equal importance?

Should I make light of academic knowledge and resgister for soft skill 's classes, say, communication skill, team-work skill...?

Thanks, my friends.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-3-12 10:51:02 |Display all floors
maybe it'll help. But you know soft skills represent who you are and they are not easy to shape and train.

It depends what classes you take.  Think twice if these classed can actually "Change" you
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-12 10:56:54 |Display all floors
Good social skills will take you farther in life.

It will give you the opportunity to make new friends where ever you go. Good business relations require good social skills. To work with others require good social skills. To obtain good contacts require social skills.

You are not going to find that much in this forum

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-12 15:40:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lotusfly7 at 2012-3-12 15:41

I'll tell you. It is a good concept for team work, but it also depends on which of the team members you are or will be.

Example: If you're the piss bucket boy you keep your mouth shut and run over whenever you're called. If on the other hand you are the leader you should delegate a piss bucket boy to your personal staff and yourself.

But here's the clincher: in either case always toss a tip in the bucket to show your appreciation for the other team member.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-12 18:45:14 |Display all floors
From where i came from, social skill is the one that makes a difference between you and the others. Unlike western business relationship, we asians tend to do business based on comfort level. Good social skill can create a better comfort level, especially for the first impression. After that, then you can start building trusts from couple of successful transactions.

For instance, the better i know where you live, know your family, who is your brother, your father, where you play golf where your wife came from, what's your background; the better i can decide if i want to do business with you.

But it is interesting that there is such a qualification for good social skill. How come somebody make a grade over it? From my experience, good social skill is recognizable during interaction...meetings, etc. And good social skills should be build through experience.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.