Author: travistan

What is expected salary range for experienced copyeditor for CCTV-English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-12 15:11:55 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-3-9 20:33
USD 150k a year isn't that much. It's pretty much the average that a graduate from my university i ...

@vanwilder: sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel jealous or hurt your feelings. What I wanted to point out was just that there is still a huge salary gap between China and the west and that this leads to much higher salaries for westerns coming to China than vice versa.
IMHO, the low salary level in China isn't made by Switzerland or anyone else - it's just an temporary social fact that will change over time. So don't worry too much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-12 15:47:57 |Display all floors
travistan Post time: 2012-3-9 20:48
hi exportedkiwi,

are u also a foreigner working in china ? beijing?

Hi Travistan, I was a foreign teacher in China for quite a few years. Salaries, while usually more than our Chinese colleagues, for foreign teachers were quite pathetic really. Yes, we usually got a free home and utilities etc and depending on where you taught/teach, salaries ranging from RMB4000 to over 12,000/month. The higher range of slaries were usually in private commercial training centres like WEB or Wall Street and so on. In these companies, you could expect to teach approx' 25 hours/week with 15 oe hours. Salary would be anywhere between RMB7500 to 10,000 + accomodation supplement of up to RMB2000/mth. These, again differed depending on where one taught.
Personally, I hated private training centres because of the hours, work hours, and the rigidity of the owners and leadership. I preferred a lower salary but less classes and a ton more free time that were offered by public schools. Again, depending on where one worked, these salaries could vary greatly. Some colleges/universities in China still only offer the absolutely pathetic salary of 4-4500 RMB/month. These places claim that living is very cheap in those places but really, it isn't and inflation really digs away at such a low salary.
This is a rough idea but, I feel that eachers, both Chinese and foreign, who have the responsibility of teaching and shaping young minds aren't compensated anywhere near enough.
There are those here who'll, inevitably, call me anti-China or even "elitist" for voicing this concern but the facts are the facts. Those who scream loudest here are the first to either deny the facts or be ignorant of them, and in their ignorance, will call those of us who present them, "anti-China amongst other things.
Anyway, good luck with your future position. Enjoy China, don't be quick to judge it and be open to new things because China is full of them! China, and Chinese people is, and are, a wonderful place and people and some here who purport to represent China, are NOT typical!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 15:06:57 |Display all floors
thanks exportedkiwi!

it was a nice insight into the foreign lang sector i suppose.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 20:46:15 |Display all floors

Travistan

As I know Most of CCTV employees have a good salary. What I understand is you will go to Beijing for an interview, not for wok so you have an opportunity for an interview. I suggest you to Google or to ask some people in your field, I don’t think in this forum you will find good ideas.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 20:47:52 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2012-3-9 09:37
In your specific business area I am not sure how salaries go, but in the industrial sector, someone  ...

Hello Gilipollin

You forgot to mention "headquarters" but anyway with headquarters or not you are totally OFF TOPIC.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 23:48:59 |Display all floors
i am ashamed~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-14 08:21:18 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-3-12 15:47
Hi Travistan, I was a foreign teacher in China for quite a few years. Salaries, while usually more ...

I have to partially agree with you here on this one. I will explain.

In the educational business area, and of course talking about foreigners teaching in China, the salary is variable depending on the qualifications of the teacher and the palcement. Take Shanghai, where our daughters study, as an example. Their school has several foreign teachers appointed, not only for English language, but also for Biology and Maths, for example. In these cases, you not only have to be fluent at English, but, as it is obvious, an expert in the subject. The salary then junps to close to 20K or plus a month plus social benefits (airfare, housing, medical insurance etc..). Of course this is nowhere close still to what the production industry pays, and yes, as you say rightfully, teachers have in their hands the responsability to shape the personality of our kids, but then again, parenting is also a very important part of that education, I think we can agree on this.
As for the production industry. A factory manager has the total responsabilty of the daily operation of the plant, plus the responsabilty of making sure the products are as much as possible "flawless"; frequently this job is done alone and in highly stressful conditions (long working hours, frequent staff changes and obvious language and culture barriers for those that are first time comers).
I said it clearly in my first post that I was not intending to compare what the OP could get or not with what is paid in our industry. For example, I am not sure if the offer of copy-editor candidates is higher than the demand. In our industry it is quite opposite, and you would be suprised how difficult it is for us to find a person who wants to take a "blind leap" in their life and carreer moving to a new country, with new colleagues and a totally different language and culture environment while having to keep a 100% flawless production target with production meetings with your customers back in Europe and Americas (north and south) no earlier than 9-10pm every other day.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.