Views: 2114|Replies: 2

DPRK to suspend nuclear activity for food aid [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-3 12:24:09 |Display all floors
BEIJING, March 1 (Xinhuanet) -- Following negotiations in Beijing, the US and the DPRK have finally come to an agreement on Pyongyang's nuclear program. The DPRK has announced a suspension of nuclear activities and given access to inspectors from the IAEA.

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea says it is suspending its nuclear activity, including tests, long-range missile launches and uranium enrichment.

It has also agreed to allow inspectors from the UN’s nuclear agency into the country in return for food aid.

The US State Department has confirmed the DPRK’s announcement and said they were ready to go ahead with a proposed 240,000 metric-tonne food aid package requested by DPRK and more aid could be agreed based on continued need.

Yuki-ya Amano, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, says the agency stands ready to send its inspectors back to the DPRK to monitor the country’s moratorium on uranium enrichment.

The move comes after talks between the US and the DPRK in Beijing last week.

At the third round of negotiations in Beijing, delegates from Pyongyang and Washington agreed it was in their mutual interest to ensure peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and to improve relations.

In immediate response, the South Korean foreign ministry said that it particularly noticed the two sides had reached agreement on steps needed to resume the six-party talks, adding that Seoul expects the agreement can be faithfully implemented.

The Japanese Foreign Minister also welcomed the agreement and said he hopes coordination to implement the agreement will make smooth progress.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton added that the DPRK’s agreement to suspend nuclear activities is a modest first step in the right direction.

(Source: CNTV.cn)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/video/2012-03/01/c_131439823.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 16:08:00 |Display all floors
really a good news, but i doubt that North Korea will keep their words after they get what they want, there are precedents for this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-4 15:49:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by scrotymcbugerba at 2012-3-4 15:50

i does not matter if they continue or not as long as they stop testing.you can work on guidance systems with out contaminating things .america was never told that north korea was a credible threat  to any thing but our allies .we never thought they would use their weapons on anyone but south korea .sad really there is no other people on the planet that has more in common with them. i am glad that they will take food from us even if they consider us enemies,though we dont have the same thoughts toward them.back when the missile crisis was going on we were all afraid of the things our government would have to do. my grand dad was there and now he has passed like a lot of those that fought in that war .he was not a hateful man but if he did harbour any ill will it left this world when he did. some times i wonder if that is our only answer to war hoping that the next generation will have a little less hate than the current one but then i see a picture of some little girl or boy who grew up seeing things children should not and wonder.
every body writes on walls but me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.