Views: 1653|Replies: 7

WALES WANT INDEPENDENCE FROM THE ENGLISH! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-2 08:42:57 |Display all floors
Wales signals shaking London off
Thu Mar 1, 2012 11:31AM GMT
"Some times you get the feeling it's our turn. We can’t expect the constitutional arrangements of the 19th century to last until the 21st."
Welsh first minister Carwyn Jones

Welsh first minister Carwyn Jones has called for constitutional changes to the United Kingdom to ensure “the voice of Wales is not lost” following Scotland’s recent independence campaign.

“Sometimes you get the feeling it’s our turn.  The reality is that devolution does affect the whole of the UK. Wales has a voice and has a view,” he told Huffington Post.

“Scotland is not that much bigger than Wales. It’s five million, we’re three million. So, it does attract a lot of attention,” he added.

Jones who has been the most powerful Welsh Labour figure since the ouster of the Gordon Brown Labour government two years ago also called for a constitutional review in Britain so that every part of the country has its own voice very similar to the federal system in the US.

“I think the UK has a future but it must adapt its constitution,” he said.

“We can’t expect the constitutional arrangements of the 19th century to last until the 21st. I think what we need is a bit of clarity in terms of … how powers are transferred from Westminster to their devolved regions,” he added.

Jones pointed to the issue of devolution as a specially problematic area that needs to be examined as it promotes the idea of “English votes for English laws” yet when it comes to major decisions or international relations it turns into English votes for everyone across the Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales as well as England.

“Where does that leave for example UK ministers in the European council who are casting a vote on behalf of the UK. Why should the UK agriculture minister, who is in effect the agriculture minister for England, be casting a vote on behalf of the UK?” he said.

He specifically pointed to a paradigm based on the US example saying “that’s one possibility” which is especially relevant when it comes to the House of Lords similar to the upper houses of parliaments in other countries.

“So why not, for example, have representation on an equal basis from different parts of the UK; Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and then you have a geographically based house and a house based on population, which I think is a good thing,” he explained.

His comments follow months of the Scottish Nationalist Party lobbying for a referendum on Scottish independence from Britain that would end the UK, as the world has known it for some 300 years.

Considering the fact that the Northern Irish nationalists have long fought for independence from Britain, the prospects of Wales’ separation along with Scotland could spell the end for UK, that would be henceforth be known as England with almost half of its former territory.

Diane Abbot (British MP): Anglos love playing divide and rule
David Cameron (British PM): Anglos caused most of the world's problems!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 08:44:35 |Display all floors
WALES DRAGON
Mar 1, 2012 12:51 PM

I think wales too should become independent like Scotland too. The UK has for far too long been in favour of London and the English. The wales people have always been taken for granted and NEVER get there fair share of resources or funds. The idea of the UK is now past its sell by date and both wales and Scotland should become independent and ditch the English to stand on there own feet and get there own killed in false wars . INDEPENDENCE FOR WALES NOW!
Diane Abbot (British MP): Anglos love playing divide and rule
David Cameron (British PM): Anglos caused most of the world's problems!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 08:56:33 |Display all floors
Me Welsh! Me eat leek and mine rugby and play coal! decisions for Kurdish people have been made by Tehran for too long!  Me think Kurdish people should secede! And Parsees too!
Da wogs start at Calais!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 09:24:11 |Display all floors
Nah, don't think it's possible. Only posturing to win votes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 10:33:57 |Display all floors
“the voice of Wales is not lost” following Scotland’s recent independence campaign.

Yeah independance for Wales  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 10:38:31 |Display all floors
Welsh_Windbag Post time: 2012-3-2 10:33
“the voice of Wales is not lost” following Scotland’s recent independence campaign.

Yeah indepen ...

Bet St_George and Austin would have something to say, if they are here.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 11:35:43 |Display all floors
It is funny to watch the whole "Euro Zone" Experiment against the backdrop of the different regions in Britain, Beligum, and elsewhere trying to splinter like Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia.  Kinda reminds the whole mess up in Canada with Quebec.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.