Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-6 22:29:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by greatlady at 2012-3-7 01:46

IMG0304233001.jpg

IMG0304233300.jpg

IMG0304233301.jpg

IMG0304233400.jpg

IMG0304233800.jpg

P.s : the last photo of 33200 should be in the 3rd place of steps. sorry I can't make it back there.

IMG0304233900.jpg
IMG0304233200.jpg
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-6 22:33:05 |Display all floors
IMG0305005000.jpg

IMG0305005600.jpg

that's done.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-3-7 08:45:57 |Display all floors
Lono_Sainoa Post time: 2012-3-6 20:43
it seems the Suan Cai is different than the Suan Cai i usually see in Sichuan or Kejia cooking, etc. ...

"Traditionally, Northern China has used Napa cabbage as the vegetable of choice while Southern China uses the Chinese mustard "jìe cai" (芥菜) variety to make suan cai (Cant. syun choy). Production of Suan cai differs from other pao cai in that the vegetable is compressed. This is accomplished by placing a heavy weight such as a large rock on top of the cover of the container so that the Chinese cabbage inside the container is slowly pressed and fermented. The processing of the vegetable helps to create a distinct flavor.
Generally, the cabbage is dipped into boiling water, then put in a container with cold water with salt. Suan cai is often used in cooking with meat, especially pork. It is said to neutralize the grease of meat.)"

Northeastern Suan cai{:soso__7230932693434803830_3:}

This is Suan cai from Southern China{:soso__14347937040236606360_1:}

Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-7 09:08:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Lono_Sainoa at 2012-3-7 12:57

Here is my Recipe for Zhou / Rice Congee

i know what you are thinking.. Zhou? Congee? too simple, dork..

but this is no ordinary Congee...

this is magical congee

you can eat it everyday for breakfast.. no matter how busy you are..

no matter how much time you have.. in fact, you dont even need time.. like i said, its magical..

it just appears  

i know what you are thinking.. oh, just add hot water to my left over rice?

or. buy it from a store?

nonono..

this is no gimmick.. and its real great zhou

---------------------

step 1. wash about a half of a standard rice bowl of Short-grain Rice (Any rice will actually work)

---------------------

step 2. fill a normal medium-sized rice cooker about an inch or 2 from the top with filtered water, with the cleaned rice at the bottom  

---------------------

step 3. set this timer for 2 hours, by setting the arrow tot he actual time now, then pushing down the litle side bars for a 2 hour period or so

if you wake up at 7, set it for 5-7am by first pointing the arrow to teh current time, then pushing all of the little bars down between 5am and 7am

---------------------

Step 3.5.  Add some salt to the water, a dash of sesame oil if you like...

• Dry off the outside of the rice pot, and put it into the rice cooker

• put a chopstick across the pot near the hinge, and lower the lid onto it so it doesnt close

• now plug the rice cooker into the timer

• and push the cook button on the rice cooker down..

----------------------

you will have great hot zhou when you wake up

eat it with an over-hard fried egg, and some packets of pickled vegetables

---------------------

this same thing will work for 8-bao zhou, or 12-kinds zhou, or corn congee, or any other hard, raw grain zhous, etc...

---------------------

in the old days, people would put their dried corn or grains with water in a heavy pot over the coals used for cooking dinner than night

the congee would cook slowly, in a pot hung over the coals in the fireplace until the next morning..

between the soaking time and the remaining heat from the coals, the breakfast Congee / Porridge would be ready when they woke up..

It would Finish Cooking about the time the remaining heat from the coals was expended, or with just enough heat remaining to get the fire going for the next day

this method gives you the historical & nostaligiic feeling of how our ancestors used to have breakfast - hot & ready when they wake up...

most every country in the world had something similar

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-7 10:59:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Lono_Sainoa at 2012-3-7 11:12

the best multi-grain zhou is a combination of various grains, penuts, lotus seeds, black luo mi, and all kinds of wild rices and corn-grains

but still just half-rice bowl or so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-7 11:08:24 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2012-3-7 08:45
"Traditionally, Northern China has used Napa cabbage as the vegetable of choice while Southern Chi ...

whatever.. they're all just Sauerkrauts..

good stuff..

if you boil the green suancai, to purify & mellow it, then shred it and saute it a bit, it goes great on hotdogs or other sandwiches or served with meat & potatoes .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.