Views: 5512|Replies: 60

China urges EU to halt carbon tax [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-2-24 10:26:48 |Display all floors

The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) on Thursday urged the EU to put an end to its plan to tax airlines for their carbon emissions.

China urges EU to halt carbon tax. [File photo]

Commenting after a Moscow meeting held by nations opposing the program, the CAAC said "we hope the EU can recognize the concerns of all sides and make changes as soon as possible to avoid an unfavorable situation."

The EU's act will not only distort competition, constrain the airline industry's development and create a financial burden for travelers, but also undermine trust in the world's concerted efforts against climate change, the administration said in a statement on its website.

Out of the 33 participating countries including China, the United States, Russia and Japan, 29 signed a joint declaration at the end of the meeting opposing the carbon tax scheme.

The declaration specifies a variety of measures intended to be used against the EU Emission Trading Scheme (ETS), including allowing any country to introduce measures in line with national laws to either completely scrap the ETS or postpone it.

The CAAC statement said China will continue its countermeasures and work with other countries to urge the EU to stop acting unilaterally.

China has banned its airlines from complying with the EU scheme, which requires airplanes that land or take off in Europe to acquire permits that keep track of the amount of greenhouse gases emitted during the flight. The scheme went into effect this year, although the first payment will not be due until April 30, 2013.

Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 00:04:06 |Display all floors
"China has banned its airlines from complying with the EU scheme, which requires airplanes that land or take off in Europe to acquire permits that keep track of the amount of greenhouse gases emitted during the flight."

Does that in practice mean that they are banned from land or take off in Europe? I don't like any taxes but I don't really see anything extra upsetting about this tax.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 01:21:22 |Display all floors
Shameful China, shameful USA.

Instead of fighting EU, they should be thinking of their own carbon tax.

Got money to tour, no money to pay a little tax?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 01:26:44 |Display all floors
user pay.
this a tax only the rich pays.

what big deal?

if you want to help students, then exempt the students

what big deal?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 01:46:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-2-24 20:54
China is speaking with a forked tongue: On one hand it is bragging that it is developing clean sourc ...

China has the right to speak with a forked tongue.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 01:56:27 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-2-25 01:21
Shameful China, shameful USA.

Thank you China, thank you U.S.A, thank you Russia.

Europe can continue it's decline by further punishing it's business men.

Yes, I have money to tour and enjoy the world. Thanks for asking. I don't want to spend some of that money on an irrelevant and useless tax.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-25 01:59:57 |Display all floors
chinanumberone Post time: 2012-2-25 01:56
Thank you China, thank you U.S.A, thank you Russia.

Europe can continue it's decline by further  ...

you dont like the name carbon tax, then call it traveller tax. Can or cannot?

China USA jealous because the tax money  go to EU governments.

China and USA dont have to be jealous, you can also do your own tax.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.