Author: voice_cd

Translation Contest Series No. 5   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-21 17:17:16 |Display all floors
Looks like the judges have a difficult time to pick up their favorite. According to their picks, we have two joint winners for this issue!

Winners: DSseeing and travellinglight
Award: 200 credits

Congratulations!

We hope more participants can join in our next contest!

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-2-21 17:26:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2012-2-21 17:27
seneca Post time: 2012-2-20 17:53
DSseeing

31#

Thank you so much for highlighting my errors. And I'm thrilled to be in the first rank by your standards.

Anyway, I have problems in correcting my mistakes:
won't
3 months' income
upgrade
would rather

What can be the best word to replace "upgrade", "装修"here means when you redo a new apartment, not just decorate it to make it look better, some times you need to redo rooms and other designs.
Any word in English?

Thanks for your time and patience. I appreciate your help
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-22 14:41:03 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2012-2-21 17:26
Thank you so much for highlighting my errors. And I'm thrilled to be in the first rank by your sta ...

If an apartment is new and never been painted then you would decorate it ......... (1st time)

If it is a used apartment, or even a new one which already has decor (paint etc) that you do not like  .........

The you redecorate ........  (I suppose you could equate that to: something you can see)

'Upgrade' is something you might do to a computer ..........

In making the specifications more modern ........

(Something you cannot see, but it is now more 'up-to-date')

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-22 14:45:02 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-2-22 14:41
If an apartment is new and never been painted then you would decorate it ......... (1st time)

If  ...

Thank you for your kind reply. What if I need to tear down a wall and conbine two rooms into one? or I change a new toilet, can I still call it as "decorate" it?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-22 15:01:10 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2012-2-22 14:45
Thank you for your kind reply. What if I need to tear down a wall and conbine two rooms into one?  ...

Well that is 'changing the layout' ........

And one could talk about that maybe in terms such as this .......

"When we (re) decorated the apartment we took out a wall and made two rooms into one (a single) much larger one, and we also replaced the toilet  ......... "

Another word that works is 'renovated' if it is changing a previous design or décor  ...........

"When we 'renovated' the apartment we took out a wall and made two rooms into one (a single) much larger one (room), and we also replaced the toilet  ......... "

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-22 15:25:17 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-2-22 15:01
Well that is 'changing the layout' ........

And one could talk about that maybe in terms such as  ...

Thanks a lot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-24 13:42:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-2-21 17:01
G'd day everyone!

We have had several new posters this time, and that is good for this game. On the ...

Thank you very much for your direction. I'll remember the rules as a new comer.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.