Author: angela627

Great Leap Forward (1956-1960)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-12 17:39:51 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-12 13:26
It was the only way Mao had of gaining a strong enough military,
i.e. nuclear weapons technology fro ...

Fair enough but by the time Mao got the bomb, the "imperialists" were on the way out and China had too large a land army to contend with. By the by, the "imperialists" wouldn't have sent even one foot soldier into mainland China.......who the heck is dumb enough to do that in a hostile environment?
Didn't China also get most of their nuclear technology, initially anyway, by nefarious means, from the US?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-12 22:08:35 |Display all floors
form such pictures,  the vast labors seems have a happier life than we are, you can see their faces filled with loves, because they were satisfied with their the life in their heart?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-2-13 03:27:57 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-12 01:39
Fair enough but by the time Mao got the bomb, the "imperialists" were on the way out and China had ...

Hind sight is 20/20. Mao needed the bomb if he wanted China to matter at all in world affairs.
In the 50s the USA is busy chumming up with Japan and building up South Korea.
How would the USA feel if they were the odd man out in the nuclear arms race with the Soviets
setting up shop in Cuba? Maybe the USA wouldn't set on foot in China at the time but Japan, a then
budding ally of the USA, had already proven more than willing to so such a thing.
The only thing China had to barter for the bomb at the time was food.
It was a war effort to survive as an independent nation at that time.
It would be impossible to image the 'powers that be' at the time would make an exception of
China and not bother to try to import their brand of commerce and religions... in effect
their governments.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-13 03:36:07 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-12 01:39
Fair enough but by the time Mao got the bomb, the "imperialists" were on the way out and China had ...

From what I've read Mao got the bomb from the Soviets. Getting blue prints from the USA wouldn't
have done much good. China needed the infrastructure to build the bomb. The only place they could
get all the heavy industry to build the bomb was from their half hearted buddies, the Soviets.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-13 04:27:30 |Display all floors
Thanks for the poster photo. i am confused about how the real Chinese people evaluate about the Great Leaf Forward movement, i think Still the leaders of the China are utilising the movement. They got the tremendous experience. This experiment they got when they were thought to have been surpassed by the Mao ideology, but on the contrary they gathered their precious experiment about the Life, about the Society, about their duty to the Society. I wonder without gathering that kind  of information and knowledge how the leaders could have possessed such Quality!
What's on my mind? i always think what should be on my mind. i am lag behind. so what is that Hindr ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-13 08:49:55 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-13 02:36
From what I've read Mao got the bomb from the Soviets. Getting blue prints from the USA wouldn't
h ...

There was a Chinese scientist that worked at Oak Ridge or Los Alamos I think who got the blueprints out. It's there in the history somewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-13 08:57:07 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-12 16:49
There was a Chinese scientist that worked at Oak Ridge or Los Alamos I think who got the blueprint ...

I don't know the details but that might have been later while the Chinese were perfecting their
nuclear technology. I'm talking the period of the Great Leap Forward when they were just trying
to get the bomb in the first place. They needed the Soviets help, not just designs. That's why
they were exporting so much food. That was how they could pay for getting the Russian's help
in making their first bombs.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.