Author: meeko124

Stop spitting in public   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-25 19:28:46 |Display all floors
SPACEMARINE Post time: 2012-1-25 19:22

dont worry, i am not being racist. i am a a Chinese too.
but it is wrong for u to defend people with bad habit and suggesting foreigners to avoid going to china, china needs open the country to let foreign people go and see the rich culture and good things about china. it is not right tell foreign people not to come, because we are too dirty and uneducated selfish people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 19:38:18 |Display all floors
SPACEMARINE Post time: 2012-1-25 19:22

one of the reasons why so many different deceases in china is because 900 million people spit in public. thats why so dirty and causing lots of deceases. if no spitting in public like japan and singarpore, i am sure it will be much less desease and much more healthy. high standard society dont spit in public. only the low class people do!!!

hopefully the other 200 millions people dont spit in public.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 19:42:15 |Display all floors
Firstly, I didn't say you were racists, I said you were parochial and close minded.

You took the standard of another country (Australia) and are judging another country by that standard. This foriegn standard is claimed to be superior and foriegn people must abide by it. That doesn't sound the least bit arrogant to you?

I don't personally like to see people spitting outside. Why? I am from Australia too, that is just the way we were raised. What is objectively dirty about spitting, as long as it is done outside?

Understand the history and cultural context of this action. Most Chinese people traditionally lived in a rural setting. Until recently the majority of people lived there. In the countryside it doesn't matter if you spit outside, it hits the dirt and soaks in very quickly. People even went far enough to use their own waste products as fertilizer for their fields. There was no plumbing (there still isn't any sewage in most of the country) so the natural place to relieve oneself is outside.

So why would they have a taboo against spitting?

Now that people are moving to cities it is no longer as suitable for them to spit outside but personal habits, especially when everyone is like this are very hard to change especially when there isn't really any pressing need to change them. Austin already pointed out that there is no real health risk.

Spitting inside is not even a big issue inside Chinese homes. Why? because the floor is made of concrete, tiles or other non porous surfaces. All rubbish is dropped there and regularly swept or mopped up.

Increasing amounts of pollution also mean it is more beneficial to ones health to spit out the pollution we breath in all day rather than swallow it and let it infect our bodies.

So you can see, spitting makes sense in the Chinese context and is only becoming less suitable because people are moving to cities. As more people move to cities, as older generation die out and new urban Chinese are born the practice will die out since it is no longer relevant.

I hope that this reply will help you to see the folly of attacking the practices of others as disgusting without going into their historical and cultural conditions.

Don't make the mistake of believing that something that is right in our conditions is necessarily right for everyone else.
Serve the Emperor!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 19:47:01 |Display all floors
meeko124 Post time: 2012-1-25 21:38
one of the reasons why so many different deceases in china is because 900 million people spit in p ...

Well, you are not going to get support from people you call dirty and ugly, habits die hard, old habits die harder.
If you want to cause a change, do it politely, be an educator not a provocator .
As I said before, I saw only a few doing it, most did it in the gutter, or flower beds.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 19:56:29 |Display all floors
Have you watch American baseball?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 19:59:43 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-25 19:47
Well, you are not going to get support from people you call dirty and ugly, habits die hard, old h ...

i am not provoking people. what i am say is true. spitting is dirty, spitting is ugly!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-25 20:01:45 |Display all floors
SPACEMARINE Post time: 2012-1-25 19:42
Firstly, I didn't say you were racists, I said you were parochial and close minded.

You took the st ...

sounds like u are one of those people who spit. what u saying here also sounds to me u spit at home too.
so honestly, does all your family spit too??

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.