Views: 32581|Replies: 502

AI Weiwei. Is This Image Art or Politics ........ ?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-23 16:47:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-1-27 13:03

Much has been said about Ai Weiwei and what art is. However, there can be no doubt that he was little known and did not become a famous artist until after 2000 when politics were placed in the mix.

I will write more about that when I have some time.

Modern art, like modern classical music almost seems to need someone famous to achieve it and it also needs an explanation. This is what soi-disant artists such as AWW do so to justify what it is and what it means.

Otherwise we would never get it. Right?

I would like you to look at this piece (1986) of AWW art and after reading his explanation decide whether it is art or just someone trying to be political for the sake of art ..…

The (ahem!) artists description of this piece is:

“The border is the fence which holds the Chinese captive and the foot represents the Party. The clenched toes show the exertion needed to keep the people in their boxes and organized so that they cannot flow freely and mingle. Held down and oppressed by a foot which is like a hand in its representation. You will also notice that the piece is in only ‘black and white’, which, is the unswerving Party line devoid of a choice  ……  ”

Wow  …….  !

That is a lot of meaning ………  

Your vote please .........   

AWW 1986.jpg

{:soso_e114:}

Single choice vote, There are a total of 24 people participating in the poll view poll participants

Poll is over

25.00% (6)
20.83% (5)
8.33% (2)
25.00% (6)
0.00% (0)
16.67% (4)
4.17% (1)
Your current user group has no poll permission
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-23 17:18:08 |Display all floors
Well ........

I will vote last because as far as I am concerned it is     {:soso_e174:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-23 18:47:08 |Display all floors
OK, OK .........

I have voted now  ..........

Anyone else  .........  ?

I mean is it even art let alone a message  ...........  ?     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-23 19:28:55 |Display all floors
AI Wei Wei is a thieves' in the U.S.'s tool used against China. He is neither an artist or a politician. But media in the U.S. and other thieves control media want to make him a politician and a poster child.
I am an Asian American. I came to Chinadaily forum hoping to share my experience, knowledge, and my point of view. And in return I want to get the same in return from friends from around the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-23 20:14:05 |Display all floors
Art can be very political.

Remember Cerny's Entropa?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-23 20:18:11 |Display all floors
That piece of artwork was displayed in Brussels and was a big hoax from the artist who claimed this was a collaborative effort between artists in each member state.

Bulgaria was depicted as squat toilets - they were so upset they ordered thier 'piece' be covered up.

But guess what?  There was never even a question that Cerny go to jail or be charged with political treason or anything crazy like that.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-23 21:06:27 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-1-23 20:33
Expatter,

this is not a free and open poll because you twist the arms of viewers here in no small w ...

I have added two more standard choices to help .......

I did not mean to bigot the poll ........

I just meant to find out what other people thought  ........

Thanks .........

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.