Author: weiminfuwu

Chinese workers treated like slaves in UK [Copy link] 中文

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-1 01:21:15 |Display all floors

While these illegals do work for some western companies, they are still under th

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 01:39:22 |Display all floors

ancedotes from u.s.

a relatively popular chinese buffet in suburban maryland (just oustide of dc) was recently closed.  i went there several times.  later, i was shocked to find out the reason for the closure was that all the workers there were actually illegals smuggled in by a chinese gang operating out of new york.  

apparently, a bust in new york uncovered this network, leading to the closing of the buffet.  this was seriously weird stuff.

i agree that many foreigners from developing nations have seriously skewed views of life in america.  it is not easy.  one of my friends who has been here for a year-and-a-half was a computer programmer in china.  he came on his wife's visa (she is a researcher) but complained that life here is too hard.  he said in china people had time to relax, go to the movies, and whatever, but that here they had to struggle everyday.

some of the other chinese in our group encouraged him, and told him they went through the same things but that eventually things are ok.  it is difficult to do things like get your driver's license, buy a car, cook (eating out is too expensive), do your laundry, work ... but now the people who have been here for a few years already have their own house, lead girlscout troupes, and send their kids to soccer, piano, and chinese class.  (these guys have pretty good salaries though, most having transferred to university research positions.)

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 04:09:40 |Display all floors

Seneca: Stop the insults and I will reply to you

Seneca said:
>What's on your agenda weiming-dongxi.
and:
>I think this holier-than-thou attitude is the most hypocritical.
-------------------------------

Observing the trading of personal abuse that is so common in this Forum, I made a decision some time ago not to return personal insults. Such behaviour detracts from debate and degrades those who engage in it.

I will happily refute all your arguments if you can manage to send a post which does not contain personal insults.

Geoff

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 15:06:18 |Display all floors

My heart fell fell fell ...

feel fell to the abyss of woes, after reading the above posts!

I have nevered imagined that people could be treated that mercilessly in our time. I think those ugly things were dead and gone and kept only in the history books! Sadly, it surely does live with us, right?

I just can't help imagine what if I was bulied by some big-time mobsters everyday. Boundless woes, what kind of life that would be? Just horrible! I would rather die than living a life like a worm, everybody can cast me into misfortunes as they wish!

If what was written above depicts the true picture of Chinese citizens abroad, I think I would like to do something. Aren't there any police forces that can repatriate the illegal Chinese immigrants? It's better for them to be home than to live a life like that!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 17:22:03 |Display all floors

My heart fell fell fell ...

Oh, dear tingting, don't be so naive. It's no doubt you will be cheated by someone boasting the beautiful life in the west world if you never know anything like that. But, it's common. Just imagine people's living that's not like you, sitting before computer, chatting with friends, dringking coffee at the same time, they are struggling for life everyday, cleaning the stink toilets, scrambling the mud with sand and stones, eating rotten vegetables left in the street market, to have a survival in the society. You are lucky because you needn't do that. But, there're just many people living not so good. So, let's, the luckier people compared to others, do something to help others, to pray for the bright future, not yourself's, but others' as well.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 18:04:05 |Display all floors

Overseas Chinese

Tingting: I don't want to give you the impression that all Chinese people are treated as described in 'The Guardian' article. I work with Chinese people here in Britain and I find them to be the most hard working and enterprising people I have ever met. There are many very successful Chinese people here.

The problem for the migrant workers is that they arrive here without the proper documentation and are thus open to exploitation by unscrupulous individuals and organisations. The Police do arrest people but the whole issue of repatriation is fraught with legal difficulties.

Tingting, there is something you can do. Advise anyone you know that if the want to come to the West, make sure they do so with the proper documentation. Also, in my opinion there are more and better business opportunities in China than in the West.

Geoff

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-1 23:50:26 |Display all floors

Chinese workers treated like slaves in UK

Well, it's an eye saw. But sometimes when u travel to another country, you might face some difficulties settling down. Just as they said, the chinese guys are being subjected to that kind of life not by britains but their follow chinese men.  But i guess such thing would have also existed in China if not population and maybe there'sn't much work for foreigners.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.