Author: timbatu

President signs law to detain US citizens - democracy fail series   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-6 13:53:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by timbatu at 2012-1-6 14:10
LaughsatYou Post time: 2012-1-6 13:17
How it can be used? Tell me? You mean if the military is deployed into a city and the brass orders ...

I wonder if you are here to confuse Chinese public.

The NDAA 2012 text clearly affirms the US President's authority to detain, via the Armed Forces, any person "who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, (these include false accusations)" or anyone who commits a "belligerent act" against the U.S. or its coalition allies, under the law of war, "without trial, until the end of the hostilities authorized by the [AUMF]." The text also authorizes trial by military tribunal, or "transfer to the custody or control of the person's country of origin," or transfer to "any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity." An amendment to the Act that would have explicitly forbidden the indefinite detention without trial of American citizens was rejected by the US Senate - a failure of democracy.

Specifically, Section 1021 and 1022 of NDAA 2012 are clear violations of the US constitutional principles and of the US Bill of Rights.

To this poster, the US military is indeed legalized to deployed into a city and the brass orders the detention of innocent citizens on the suspicion that they are terrorist. This is in fact the situation and, yes, there are many more things wrong with the US than this defense bill. I also must remind you that the US Supreme Court has, in the past, ruled in favor of racism. Look at the US Legal System: Race Makes Live-Death Difference

Internationally, The Guardian has described the legislation as allowing indefinite detention "without trial [of] American terrorism suspects arrested on US soil who could then be shipped to Guantánamo Bay;" Al Jazeera has written that the Act "gives the US military the option to detain US citizens suspected of participating or aiding in terrorist activities without a trial, indefinitely." The Voice of Russia has compared the Act to legislation passed by the Third Reich.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 17:05:30 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 17:11:14 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 17:18:36 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 23:59:41 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2012-1-6 17:05
Even you just posted supports everything I wrote above. That this is a military defense bill, orie ...

1 The military can define any person as hostile. Please read the relative events, for example, of a period of Chile.

2 I strongly disagree with your remark on China in the second paragraph. You clearly have not a shred of idea about China and her people.

3 The Bill contains new statements that are completely new.

4 The Bill is used against both military personnel and civilians.  

5 As I have said so many times, the US is driven by not rationality, but an irrational Christian fear. You demonstrate a faith-based approach - that is - you faithfully believe you are the "good guys". This is your fatal logical flaw.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-7 00:18:38 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-7 00:27:50 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.