Author: mapleripple

Can China become a bilingual country?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-1-3 12:59:07 |Display all floors
In my humble opinion I think Mandarin should always be used everywhere in China with English
only used when it is necessary (I think English is the official language of air traffic control) or
when someone simply wishes to use English. Mandarin is a beautiful language.
My wife is learning English far more quickly than I am learning Mandarin.
Her English isn't perfect of course but I can appreciate her effort.
Her teacher, who moved to the US from China about 5 years ago, told me that no matter
how long a native Chinese speaker studies English they will never speak English perfectly with no
accent. The same goes for someone who's native tongue is English who has studied and practiced
Mandarin for decades.
I think most English speakers (at least the evolved ones) understand that broken English is nothing
to be ashamed of. I admire those who go through the effort.
On the other hand I'm glad more and more young Chinese are studying English.
It makes it easier for a tourist like myself when I go over there
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:04:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by greendragon at 2012-1-3 13:05
mapleripple Post time: 2012-1-3 12:55
well, let me say something about my sense of national dignity... when my friends and i were with a b ...

Well for MAINLAND Chinese citizens, it's better to understand your PROVINCIAL DIALECT, and the COMMON LANGUAGE.

The PACIFIC RIM state, Asian Trade Route States normally have from 50% to 250% of GNP value in foreign trade. These make such state very ATTACHED to the Continentals, British, BR(A)MPS, and internally. The use of English, Japanese, Cantonese, Fujien, Putonghua and a little French, Korean, Spanish, German.

Not all LAOWAI's speaks English!
Try to THINK of ECONOMIC BENEFITS, STRATEGIC BENEFITS and TECHNICAL BENEFITS instead of just pure emotion.

Cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
Enjoying Retirement Chats

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:05:36 |Display all floors
This is a bad idea. In China, the Chinese cannot speak English like those in the West. It is not possible. It will create a large number of Chinglish errors.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:07:30 |Display all floors
Provincial self love is weak in MAINLAND provinces such as Guizhou, Yunnan, Gangsu, Guangxi......

....according to the PICTORIAL news posted on China Daily BBS.
I have not been able to visit the MAINLAND for the last few years due to ANIMAL PROBLEMS, and will be unable to give you a better picture.

Sorry about that!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:08:03 |Display all floors
Provincial self love is weak in MAINLAND provinces such as Guizhou, Yunnan, Gangsu, Guangxi......

....according to the PICTORIAL news posted on China Daily BBS.
I have not been able to visit the MAINLAND for the last few years due to ANIMAL PROBLEMS, and will be unable to give you a better picture.

Sorry about that!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:24:34 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-1-3 13:11
One more thought:

China has for a long time tried to gain worldwide recognition for its educational ...

There is no need to have English all over China.
Maybe in the more "international" cities......perhaps!
In fact in Bohai region, learning Korean or Japanese is beneficial......perhaps! But I seem to notice Koreans, Japanese learning Putonghua too!

China domestic market is big enough, and we do need PROVINCIAL SELF LOVE, autonomy to help propel a more equal development in China.

That's my opinion!

Cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
Enjoying Retirement Chats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 13:29:38 |Display all floors
Certainly, to transform a country into a bilingual one takes a very long time... but that could only be possible if we set appropriate and convincing reasons to tell the people... that being bilingual opens their eyes and brodens their horizons... and it's fun to switch from one language to another, cool, also... however we still need better explanations

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.