Author: machjo

English and racism. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-3 16:45:54 |Display all floors

About Esperanto.

temico  Asked me to write some Esperanto to see how easy it really is.  Well, seeing that unless you've already learned it, you won't understand much of it, I will therefore explain it instead.

First off, there are 16 major rules of grammar, no exceptions (by the way, this follows the child's natural thinking pattern as well).

The alphabet is 100% regular, with a direct letter to sound correlation.

Some examples of Esperanto.

"hund" is a root meaning dog.
the noun adds -o, the adjective -a, and the adverb -e, always.
thus you have:

hundo = dog
hunda = doglike
hunde = in a doglike manner.
simio = monkey
simia = simian
simie = in a monkeylike manner

The plural adds -j (hundoj), and the feminine -in-, example:
viro, man
virino, woman
hundo, dog
hundino, bitch
knabo, boy
knabino, girl
ino = a female
ina = female (adjective)
ina = in a feminine manner

the radical for "to be" is "est.

Thus you have esto = a being (remember the noun suffix)
and present simple is -as
        past simple            -is
        future simple          -os
        conditional              -us
        imperative               -u
        indefinite                  -i

Thus you have estas, estis, estos, estus, estu, esti.
jes = yes
jesi = to affirm
jeso = affirmation
ne = no, not
neo = denial
nei = to deny
nee, denyingly

The same for all roots, etc.

And to make a word accusative you add -n

thus
"La hundo shasas la katon" means

"The dog is chasing the cat." yet,

"la hundon shasas la kato"
"The cat is chasing the dog."

And how to mean the opposite?  Easy! Frefix mal-, thus:

varma, warm
malvarma, cold
fermi, to close,
malfermi, to open

The offspring adds -id-, and the collective, -ar-, example

ido, an offspring
Hundido, puppy
hundidaro, a litter of puppies.
kato, cat
katido, kitten,
katidaro,  a litter of kittens
shafaro, a flock of sheep
bovaro, a herd of cattle
fisharo, a school of fish
homaro, mankind
aro, a collective

I can present more, but I believe that this alone should be enough proof that Esperanto is far easier to learn than English.  And as you can see, unlike in English, your word base grows exponentially in Esperanto since the Esperanto dictionary doesn't include words, only roots.  You create your own words according to the roots and grammar rules.  So every additional root you learn can be used to create new words with all the already known roots.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-3 20:18:02 |Display all floors

Would you mind machjo......

.......translating your own paragraph into ESPERANTO.

"I can present more, but I believe that this alone should be enough proof that Esperanto is far easier to learn than English. And as you can see, unlike in English, your word base grows exponentially in Esperanto since the Esperanto dictionary doesn't include words, only roots. You create your own words according to the roots and grammar rules. So every additional root you learn can be used to create new words with all the already known roots."

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-4 11:12:19 |Display all floors

machjo

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-4 11:38:05 |Display all floors

Temico

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-4 16:11:34 |Display all floors

"Which absurdity", really bossel BHAI??

Re: " English was not invented & it can be spoken all over the world "

Would you mind explaining what has English being invented or not, GOT TO DO with it being spoken all over the world? Are you NOT implying that if English was indeed invented, then it CAN'T be spoken all over the world?? If the two sentences are not related, as you claim,  why then did you link them with "&"?  Isn't it ILLOGICAL and an ABSURDITY to link unrelated sentences together?? Or is that the norm in YOUR so-called "Indian English dialect"??

Evading the point with nonsense is not going to get you anywhere with me, bossel BHAI!  I repeat again,
"Just point to one reputable ENGLISH dictionary where PRONUNCIATION / USAGE reference is made to YOUR so-called "Indian English dialect".

If you still don't get the point, then I'll rephrase my question for your convenience:-

Point to me the English words/sentences typical to your "Indian English dialect" whose PRONUNCIATIONS/ USAGES are accepted and tolerated to be referred to in one REPUTABLE English dictionary.

Here are a few examples of HINDLISH to refresh your memory:-

i) "We are going home no?"
ii) "She said that to me just like that only."
iii) "Fooding and Lodging"
iv) "Corra-correct"
v) " I am coming there."

If Chinese schools are going to accept this type of "English" then they might as well accept RUBBISH too!!!

Here is a quote from a famous English statesman, politician and former Prime Minister:-
" This is the type of English, up with which I will not put ! "

Need I tell you who this person was and whom he was jeering at and referring to, bossel BHAI??

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-5 08:19:58 |Display all floors

Temico

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-5 11:24:00 |Display all floors

My explanation in terms of Economics

People have to make choices or trade-offs at any time on any things for  resources are scarce, compared to man's needs and wants. While doing choices and people face opportunity cost; while seeking goods for satifaction, people has to be subjected to transaction costs.
As is known to all, USA dominates the world economically, which contributes to the dominant status of English all over the world. To save transaction costs while doing international business, people need a common language. English bears the historic burden.
THe opening China is in rapid development and its development relies more and more on international relation, i.e., China needs standard English to facilitate the economic development and act a primary role to save the transaction costs. Obviously, some dialects cannot meet the requiement though those reflect culturally in some respects.
I think that's why many China schools prefer those so-called native speakers to teach English to those seemingly unnative.
Of couse, this practice means some stereotpye and, even discrimintion.
BTW: Chinese students give much more priority to English language. The cost ontweighs the profits. Maybe this is a problem of education orientation.  In my opinion, most Chinese English learners should stick to functionalsim----a house is bulit to live in, not to look at.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.