Views: 8158|Replies: 30

Celebrity Causes: Occupations and Human Rights ………. [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-12-18 23:26:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2011-12-18 23:29

Seneca recently used a ‘throw-a-way’ expression which was something like ‘Celebrity Causes’ …….

And I thought what a marvelous chance to explore those very such things ……..

Celebrity and Cause ………

The idea is that certain ‘causes’ could be mentioned and then ranked as to how much Celebrity both by Exposure and by the number of Real Celebrities who get involved on a scale of 1 – 10  ……..

And these can also be rated as ‘Celebrity Causes’ and correlated to who also gives support to the same in this forum …………

A good example would be Tibet as it has ‘Celebrity Status’and celebrity following in support of its cause from the Western media, filmstars (Gere, Segal, ugly white film actress cannot remember her name andothers) Western politicians, the number of prestigious Awards to its followers, and even number of forum member supporters  ……….

This cause is presented as both an occupation and a human rights issue ……..

In fact it is a ‘Super-Star’ when it comes to celebrity status accorded it from the West so 10 out of 10 for points ……….

It has total Western media backing, film star support, Awards for its leaders, support from Western politicians and forum member supporters ………  A real winner  ……..   

From here I should go on to make some comparisons with other places that have causes and see how they rank in the new Celebrity Cause scoring system on a scale of 1-10  ……….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm ………  !

Where to start there are so many ……….

I know ……..

Maybe the heart of freedom, human rights and democracy ……..

Europe …….

The Basque region …….. !

Anyone know if this cause has a ‘Celebrity Status’ before I start looking into it ……… ?

To score well it should have Western media backing for independence ………

Support from famous stars ……..

Prestigious Awards to its leaders ……….

Support for its cause from Western politicians  ……….

And support in this forum ………..

What would this ‘cause’ score on the scale 1-10 ………..  ?

And would it be a 'Celebrity Cause' .........   {:soso_e114:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-12-19 11:45:41 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2011-12-19 11:29
G'day Godfather Expatter,

I will check whether I actually used the phrase you ingeniously attribute ...

The reply is much appreciated .........

I see that you still give credibility to the two guys who independently decided to offer an award although I fail to see why you think it so significant. You must have some reason, but I for one cannot see it. Maybe you might rationalize on that some more to make it clearer why you find it of importance ..........

"French occupation of Corsica"? .........

Cool, thanks for that I will look into that lead some more  ........

"Eire .........  Why isn't that topic a "cause celebre" in China? .... "

I have no idea  ........

Could it be that China does not tend to interfere in other people's domestic issues  ........

Let me know if I am right ........

I know you will let me know if I am wrong ...........   
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 12:51:01 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2011-12-19 11:29
G'day Godfather Expatter,

I will check whether I actually used the phrase you ingeniously attribute ...

BTW  ............

Yes ...........

What you said was "fashionable causes" ............

I rather liked the implication  .........   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 13:27:33 |Display all floors
The Basque bid for independence  ....... ?

Well according to the UN if a country has a flag, a currency and a unique language or culture then it should have the right to independence ........

Oooh ........  !

The Basques are over qualified here ........

In fact they are apparently the remains of the original Europeans before the Indo-Europeans over ran the place ..........

The Basques have been marginalised by the French and Spanish including being watered down by immigrant French and Spanish, and even forced to adopt French and Spanish languages and culture as a first language over their unique native tongue ...........

Oh dear ........

I will need to check them now against their 'Celebrity Cause' status to see if they are getting the support that the fine humanitarians amongst us dish out so liberally .........

Could be interesting research  .........      

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 21:29:52 |Display all floors
OK ........

Europe, the Basque Independence cause  ……..

Celebrity Status Score ........

To score well it should have:
Western media backing for independence ………
Support from famous stars ……..
Prestigious Awards to its leaders ……….
Support for its cause from Western politicians  ……….
And support in this forum ………..

Western media backing for the cause. Hmm ....... ?  I couldn't find anything that mentions or supports their cause apart from negative stuff about ETA. Seems they have no media attention for their just cause and therefore they score 0 here.

Support from famous Hollywood stars is completely lacking and it looks like no stars are interested in this justifiable cause. The score here is again 0.

Prestigious Awards to its independence leaders and again it seems there is nothing. Not a gong in sight and not a mention so the score here is again 0.

Next is support from Western politicians and again even the politicians do not want the Basques to get the independence which should be backed by the UN based on UN ideals. So still no score another 0.

And lastly, support from the HR protesters in this forum. Oh dear, well I cannot believe it. Even these saints are not interested in Basque people retaining their culture language and way of life. That is very odd that these shining examples of everything good in humans give us another fat zero (0).

The Basque Celebrity Status therefore so far is zero after more than 100 years of fighting the establishment.

Seems that some causes are the same cause but of more interest for other purposes  ........

It certainly isn't human rights as can be demonstrated   .............   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 21:30:55 |Display all floors
OK .........

Maybe we should go over the America for the next one  ........

I know .........

Hawaii  .............    !!!      

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-20 16:41:48 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2011-12-19 21:30
OK .........

Maybe we should go over the America for the next one  ........

Hawai is good example.

You know crossed my mind recent upheaval in Bahrain Shia population sunny American puppet government beating sh!t out of peaceful protesters with tanks , armoured vehicles and live ammunition , albeit no Hollywood celebrity ever took their plight as cause for raisnig awareness..

Why don't Richard Gereor George Clooney take poor shia in Bahrain as cause for promotion and humanitarian work?

Yet whole Hollywood cry over some Tibetan crazy monk self-immolation , go figure.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.