Author: angela627

10 of the world's most hated airports [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-14 14:02:13 |Display all floors
3. London Heathrow, London, England
Depending on which of Heathrow’s five terminals one is funneled through, the average experience at the world’s third-busiest airport ranges from mildly tedious to "Fawlty Towers" ridiculous.

With its rash of -- as they were politely called -- “teething problems” in bright and airy T5 (remember that riotous grand opening with 34 canceled flights?) and nicely matured problems in Ts 1, 2 and 3, the issues passengers are beset with run the gamut.

Parking messes. Busted baggage carousels. Deadlocked security lines. Long walks (or, more commonly, runs) between gates to a frenzied soundtrack of “last call” announcements. Realizations that getting out of Heathrow took longer than actually flying here from Madrid.

In the airport “where the world changes planes,” it all boils down to a chronic inability to cope with this many people. Plans for a sixth terminal should help sever even more nerves.

8.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 14:03:43 |Display all floors
2. Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, United States
If the world’s seventh-busiest flight hub was an old ballpark resting on the stale reputation of its Dodger Dogs and that great 1959 series, LAX might have some endearment value.

But it’s an airport -- a dramatically undersized and moribund one with the architectural élan of a 1960s correctional facility and several publicized concerns about how its 1,700 takeoffs and landings a day can be sustained in a facility a fifth the size of healthier cousins like Dallas/Fort Worth.

The unsupportive donut-shaped design -- it’s been called “eight terminals connected by a traffic jam” -- makes dashing between airlines feel like a diesel-scented cardio test.

Plunked in the middle is the airport’s landmark Jetsons-style restaurant and only mentionable amenity, Encounter, but how does one actually get inside this place -- at least before being nailed for a petty traffic violation by some of the most ticket-hungry airport cops west of the Mississippi?

9.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 14:04:17 |Display all floors
1. Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Paris, France
“A great country worthy of the name,” President Charles de Gaulle once opined, “does not have any friends.”

True or not, it’s this sort of attitude that has helped CDG become the most maligned major airport on earth. What’s fueling it?

Grimy washrooms with missing toilet seats don’t help. Nor do broken scanning machines and an overall lack of signage, gate information screens and Paris-worthy bars, restaurants or cafés.

The baffling circular layout is worsened by warrens of tunnel-like structures, dismissive staff and seething travelers waiting forever in the wrong queue.

The worst part may be this airport’s aura of indifference to it all. “Waiting for a connection here,” notes one commuter, “is like being in custody.”  

If you’re actually staying in Paris, you may be okay. If you have the gall to just be passing through between Malaga and Montreal, you can cut the spite of this place with a cheese knife.  

10.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 14:24:12 |Display all floors
horrible,terrible,fuxkable

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-12-14 14:32:09 |Display all floors
I've been to two of these. The airport in Manila the worst. It was old and confusing
and when I finally got outside to find my ride the hotel was supposed to have waiting
for me I was hustled countless time before the van finally showed up.

Los Angels LAX just like it said "makes dashing between airlines feel like a diesel-scented cardio test."
You can waste 1/2 hours waiting for the right shuttle and then take the ride standing up or
you can just walk... and walk... and walk...
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 15:02:40 |Display all floors
I dont like Heathrow.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-12-14 15:05:58 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2011-12-14 15:02
I dont like Heathrow.

Terminal 4 is so good compared to term 3

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.