Views: 5581|Replies: 8

英語角在深圳市沒落了嗎? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-14 09:57:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cyberparrot at 2011-12-14 09:57

The interest in participatinging in English corner activities in Shenzhen seems to have evaporated as of late.
Why am I saying this?
Well, the attendance at the Lizhi Park English corner which is a free for all open space meet for people interested to meet others who like English has dwindled to less than 50 on a Sunday from the over 200 heads that move in and out on a typical Sunday in its good old days circa 2003.
The loveoo.com site has had all English corner activities withdrawn as I found out just two days ago.
Ivy's English Corner has relocated to a building within the Lychee Park compound with tens of them attending on a Sunday evening.
The most busy one seems to be at the Hongshulin English Corner operating on a Sunday afternoon from 2pm to 6pm. I reckon there are like a 100 attending on an admission ticket of Y10 each head.  The activities are well organized with free talk in the earlier part of the meet.
Now, can anyone tell me what's going on with this latest phenomenon?  Why English lovers stop frequenting English corners here in Shenzhen City?  They don't need that anymore?  There zealousness in the foreign language has dropped?  
Meanwhile, a friend in Changsha is telling me that English corners operated in hotels on a Sunday are attracting a big attendance even if a higher admission fee has to be paid.
If you are staying in Shenzhen and are also an English lover, enlighten me as to why people are not coming to English corners anymore these days if you have the answer.

http://86139933.qzone.qq.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 10:04:14 |Display all floors

據我個人在深圳市的觀察和親身體驗,英語熱潮已退減很多。打從2002年尾,我每星期在周三晚和周日去参加英語角開始,經歷了九個年頭,英語角的數目屈指可數。實際参與的人數少了很多。最明顯不過的是荔枝公園的英語角 Lizhi Park English Corner。2003-2006年用日來來去去的英語發燒友會超過200人,老外也來了不少。2007與2008-9我離開了深圳到分別在澳門和桂林陽朔當外教,不大清楚情況。到了2010時,變得冷清清的,只有幾十人。

最近更發現愛屋的周六英語角在網頁上消失了。我最近去過的紅樹林英語角(泰然九路聖雅頌KTV)周日2-6pm的和晚間Ivy Gu的7-9pm還在,紅樹林的很火,人數估計近百。書城周日也可能還有一個英語角,後久沒有去,可能這星期日去查看一下。

當然,高新科技園星期五的還在。深大的從來沒去過,福田圖書館也可能有吧。其它的不太清楚了,看官如發現有遺漏,請通知一聲。

盡管普遍大陸上的人會說香港人懂英語的很多,這是一個很錯的觀念,要修正了。現在國內能用上英語的比香港多,比香港好。又要說回來,香港有部份人是真能用英語的,因為是移民回流的後代,其它是下了工夫達標的本地人。那些與英語無緣的,和國內的沒有分別。那些懂與不懂之間的人裡面,說中式英語的令你難受。

兩地的問題皆因普通情況下,不會隨便使用英語的,活的英語根本不存在。剩下來的是書本式的生硬英語,中式英語。香港人不會像國內人一樣,追著老外練英語,在繁榮發達忙碌的地方是不行的。如果你是小職員,你不容易在工作上跟老外打交道。在香港的老外的人數多,自成一國,不用跟你們結巴巴的去聊。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 10:10:43 |Display all floors
问题在于:去英语角的基本上都是中国人。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 12:49:46 |Display all floors
Yes, there is nothing much to gain if you just enjoy chatting with fellow English learners or speakers.  You may be unfortunate enough to pick up the mistakes of your counterparts there.

From my observation, these English corner goers just enjoy making English sounds without regard to quality at all.  Even though enjoying their time there, there is no gain in English proficiency other than getting thick in the face to sound out something like English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 12:55:17 |Display all floors
cyberparrot Post time: 2011-12-14 12:49
Yes, there is nothing much to gain if you just enjoy chatting with fellow English learners or speake ...

That's a good point, although I much doubt the effectiveness of practicing spoken English in this way.

I would also say that quite a number of those "corner-goers" have ulterior motives -- "making friends" (if you know what I mean) rather than trying to really learn English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 15:10:07 |Display all floors
Darn right, my friend!  These people use English corners to do their "fishing" as it costs nothing to be there, and there is a good cause for being there as well.

And exactly for that motive, Lizhi Park English Corner has been named "the fishing ground" in the past.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-14 15:30:45 |Display all floors
cyberparrot Post time: 2011-12-14 15:10
Darn right, my friend!  These people use English corners to do their "fishing" as it costs nothing t ...

So the problem here is not about these English corners. Rather, it's about those who go there in the disguise of English language afisnados. We might as well change the way English corners are organized. Instead of free access, we may have to introduce a membership-based club or at least a vetting process.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.