Author: expatter

Rogues Gallery: Ai Weiwei ...........   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-11 12:32:17 |Display all floors

Another comment ............

“A series of property scandals, triggered by mass evictions of long-time residents, eventually led to the arrest of Chen and his associates.

Land titles transferred under hi0s regime have since been reviewed, and hundreds of prosecution cases filed.

Ai Weiwei’s new studio, which was among the questionable properties was torn down like many other illegal structures.

There’s nothing extraordinary about this sort of corruption, except for its politicized defense by Ai Weiwei and his foreign sponsors, including the American ambassador to China.

As the Shanghai case illustrates, Ai Weiwei is not only an artist, architect, filmmaker, curator, social critic and dissenter, he is also a low-end property developer with an apparently sloppy ledger book, rife with shady accounting practices.

To some he’s a great artistic talent, but as a businessman he’s known for skirting the rules.

His loosely administered property dealings have long raised eyebrows among academic artists and municipal officials in Beijing.”

I thought as much.

Figured Ai’s “conscience” has a price, just like most “artists”.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-11 13:20:52 |Display all floors

According to the NYT ...........

New York Times .........  Friday, November 11, 2011

AWW, an illegal visa over stayer college drop-out, earned $200 every evening as a pavement artist ..........

One can only assume that as an illegal he was not registered to pay tax there either .........

Seems this bad habit had to start somewhere  ..........   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 13:31:58 |Display all floors

Simon Kirby Interview ............

Simon Kirby: In 2003, you worked with the architectural practice Herzog & de Meuron to provide the winning concept for the iconic Beijing Olympic stadium. You subsequently withdrew your support for the Olympic project and have been critical of the way the Games are being used for political purposes in China. In what ways are the Games being misused?

Ai Weiwei: Yes I did the design. It is a bold and unique structure and has been very well received. I am very happy about that, there is no question.

QUOTE:  Yes I did the design.   !!!!!!

And there it is ..........

Poor Ai Wee Wee does not even know the truth himself ........

No wonder all the newspapers say he designed it .............   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 13:34:09 |Display all floors

So .........

A New York illegal immigrant tax dodger  ............

And .........

Someone who cannot even remember the truth ...........

Sounds dodgy to me  .........   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 13:39:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-11-11 13:32
Dear Expatter,
I will try to relieve you of the need to engage in risky conjecturings about Ai Weiwei, his credits as an artist and his finances but you need to give me some time.
I distinct ...
................................................................................

Article:

Artzine

The Clown Scholar: Ai Wei Wei
By David Barboza and Lynn Zhang

QUOTE:   

“When I left China [for the United States], I told my mother, ‘I’m going home,’” he says. “She thought – 'Stupid boy.' I said, ‘Ten years later, you’ll see another Picasso.’ I was wrong. It was 20 years later,” he says with a grin.

No he had no idea he was going to be famous he only wanted to be another Picasso ............

Umm ..........   ?

He was famous wasn't he  ............   

Oh ....... !

And that he (AWW) was not Chinese but an American ...........   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 14:03:32 |Display all floors

He started his career by shocking people with filth ..........

Curiously, before 2000, AWW was not well known as an artist. He was mostly producing books and promoting art, doing gallery work, and even selling antique furniture.

But AWW stirred things up in 2000 during the Shanghai Biennale, when he and Feng Boyi co-curated a show called "F**k Off," as a kind of alternative to the Biennale. The show was packed with provocative works, including one installation that included the bodies of two dead babies.

Almost as soon as the show opened it was closed down. But news of the closure swept through Shanghai and within days foreigners and the foreign media were talking about the "F**k Off" show and interviewing AWW.

Same article as above  ...........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 16:17:49 |Display all floors

Ai weiwei, a political clown

This has been copied from poster: waiboshu

From: China Daily Forum >> China Watch >> Ai weiwei, a political clown

Recently on Weibo.com, Ai weiwei openly asked to "borrow” money from public to pay off his tax evasion, and more than “10 thousand people” were allegedly to respond and donate more than millions of Yuan. Ai claimed it's definitely a morale booster, in my eyes, the campaign is nothing but a public stunt.

Ai Weiwei is a billionaire, there have been reports on this. On Nov 2008, he told the Chosun Ilbo, South Korea's largest mass circulation newspaper, “Up to now, I’ve made fortune of 200 millioin Yuan.” Meanwhile, as Western media reported, Ai purchased an upscale apartment in Berlin last year, and had planned to buy a 4,800-square-meter studio this year also in Berlin. Does he need to borrow money to pay off his tax bill?

As an internationally acclaimed political activist and artist, apart from cursing the government, what has he ever done for the disadvantaged? Has he ever financed them to sue or given them any other kind of economic support?
Ai was known for investigating on student casualties on Wenchuan earthquake, but did he donate a cent for the poor children? Has it crossed to his mind to build a solid Hope primary school for them? What he really care is how to publicize himself.

As we all know, being an artist, no matter how talented you are, if people don’t know you, you’re nothing, not to mention social status and incomes. Publicity is the key to success. Actually, in his early years in US, Ai started joining street demonstrations and soon discovered a shortcut to success – “Art plus Politics”.

So, in order to test if his popularity was still there, he came up this trick. After all it will surely attract attentions. What an expert!

Pathetically, those who donated don’t know they have been fooled and taken advantage of. It’s understandable that they have good political appeals, but it’s too bad if they are blinded.

Thank you waiboshu  .........

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.