Author: expatter

Rogues Gallery: Ai Weiwei ...........   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-11 10:01:53 |Display all floors
I don't know why but the filter is not allowing me to post a series of links. It's frustrating I'll try again later.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-11 10:04:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wowzers at 2011-11-11 09:50
Found some fun stuff while perusing the Blog expatter cited, let's start with this from "citizen":
Lots of laughably wrong stuff in this article.
He talks about ‘Errors in Fact’ wit ...
........................................................................................................................

Yes  ...................

That is in the post article comments  ...............

And probably the most amusing one so thanks for that ...............

"In partnership"  ..............   lol

I do hope that you have thought of the ramifications of a person like AWW being in a partnership with Herzog et al ................   

Or shall I have some fun with that idea  ...............     

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-11 10:05:53 |Display all floors

Same ...........

This is being carefully monitored as I would assume it should  ...........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 10:20:57 |Display all floors

A sensible comment on the article ...........

Comment from Sima Nan:

It requires a significant amount of money to produce this kind of art which carries a nasty taste. After someone produces such crass famous pro-American [note: 带路党 is a derogatory name for the Chinese who would volunteer to show the way for the American soldiers invading China] works of art, does he now have exemption from Chinese law? Can he do anything that he wants in China? If not, does it become “deterioration of human rights” in China?]

The basic concept of “human rights” has been positioned to be something completely incompatible with the tremendous economic and social progress in China. This is a huge joke, and it is the reason why the Chinese people are disgusted whenever the west applies pressure on China overs these so-called “human rights” issues.

The “avant garde” artist Ai Weiwei was recently “taken away” by the Chinese police. Certain western governments and “human rights organizations” immediately interceded and demanded the release of Ai Weiwei. This matter was raised to represent “the deterioration of human rights situation in China” with Ai Weiwei being called a “Chinese human rights warrior.”

There was no attempt to learn the truth. Instead, a specific judicial case in China is being magnified in order to criticize China viciously. This is an ill-considered intrusion on the basic political framework in China as well as utter disregard of Chinese sovereignty over its own judicial system. The west is deliberately lifting a simple judicial case up the level of national politics (even international politics) in order to distract the Chinese people and modify their value system.

In recent years, Ai Weiwei has been active as a “performance artist” and “avant garde artist.” He is a unique loner in Chinese society. He opposes traditional art and he likes to come up with “astonishing words and acts.” He likes to tread on the “margins of the law” and do things most people don’t know for sure whether it is “legally permissible.” On April 1, it was reported that “he failed to complete the procedures” on his way to Taiwan via Hong Kong.

Ai Weiwei ought to know that his independence and his propensity to do “what others don’t dare to do” has gathered a number of like-minded persons around him. He often goes right up to the red line in Chinese law. Perhaps he likes that feeling. Objectively speaking, China does not have much experience dealing with people like him. There are not many legal precedents. But if Ai Weiwei continues to charge ahead, it is a matter of time before he “steps on the line.”

There are 1.3 billion Chinese people and it is normal that there should be a few stubborn and unruly people like Ai Weiwei. In art, exceptions are the rule. In law, exceptional behavior is to be restricted and regulated. It is unrealistic and impossible for China not to set up legal boundaries for people like Ai Weiwei.

The west glosses over the complexity of the Chinese judicial system as well as that of the individual activities of Ai Weiwei. They reduced the matter of “Ai Weiwei being taken away” down to a simple political slogan: “The human rights situation in China is deteriorating.” “Human rights” is like a bucket of paint — the western politicians and media can use that paint to smear anything that they see. They are erasing the detailed differences of everything in this world.

It is a huge joke that the west should make out a basic concept such as “human rights” to be something thoroughly incompatible with the economic and social progress in China. This is the fundamental reason why the Chinese people are disgusted whenever the west applies pressure on China over these so-called “human rights” issues. In China, people’s livelihood is improving. Meanwhile the government/party is coming under more supervision and scrutiny than before as it is the trend for the public to express their opinions on the Internet. Can this be denied? The experience of Ai Weiwei (as well as certain other independent activists) should be not be put on the same scale as if they represent the development and progress of human rights in China.

The truth about “Ai Weiwei being taken away” will become clear soon. Generally speaking, given that Ai Weiwei chose to have a different attitude towards the law than common people, the law will not compromise for such a “special person” just because of western public opinion. History will pronounce judgment on people like Ai Weiwei, who will sometimes have to pay a price for their choices.

This is true in any society. Even as China moves ahead as a whole, nobody has the right to demand that the entire Chinese people must satisfy the personal preferences of one person or the other.

This has nothing to do with respecting the rights of a minority group.

So true  ............     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 10:28:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-11-11 10:22
I refute that claim categorically. Are you a rogue, Godfather Expatter?
My posts were neither "irascible" nor aimed at my 'host country', fullstop.
Your posts are pure polem ...
.....................................................................................

Oh ............  !

You mean you do not read your own posts  .............   

Curious  .........

Have another look and you might see a common theme there  ..............

Glittering nationalism .............

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 10:34:18 |Display all floors

Still more to come

Originally posted by expatter at 2011-11-10 22:28
An Error in Fact

First, let’s clear up a few misconceptions – starting with Beijing’s Olympic Stadium, the Bird’s Nest.

According to the NYT, “… the Chinese government asked Mr.  ...

A big part of the ongoing smear campaign is an attempt as we see here to belittle Mr' Ai's involvement in the design of the Bird's Nest.
Compare these quotes (From those actually involved) to what is claimed here and it becomes obvious that this "opinion" piece's intentions and by extension that of the OP are "malevolently motivated"

HERZOG:

"The architects have been working closely with Ai Weiwei, the artist responsible for these provocative works. Jacques Herzog remarks that his contribution to the project is important. "Weiwei is someone who tests our ideas," he says. "We have lengthy talks with him about how things work in China today. You cannot just walk into China and do what you have always done. We like to learn from other places, and China is the oldest civilization on the planet. With Ai Weiwei, we find contemporary lines of energy from that tradition"

"Herzog talks of how Ai Weiwei encouraged them to develop the "crazy, chaotic" structure of the stadium as far as it would go. He sketched a tree and a bird's nest to show that it would chime in with Chinese culture, would not be seen as alien. This is exactly as such collaborations should be. Who did what? If you can tell, then it isn't a real meeting of minds. It becomes just a commissioned artwork, fitting in with the architecture somewhere or other. That is emphatically not what is happening here. Something altogether subtler is taking place. "

LI XINGGANG

"domus:Who has influenced you the most in the past several years?
Li Xinggang: I’d like to say Ai Weiwei. We became acquainted during the “bird’s nest” project and thereafter I was always eager to hear his opinions about my own projects. He’s an artist as well as a thinker, a philosopher, an architect, a writer and a craftman; a man of full awareness, with independent judgment based on his distinguished perspective. He has the ability to begin someting and bring it back to the source. I think that is really important. My son also influences me a lot."
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 10:40:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-11-11 10:34
It seems artists have the longer arms in China than the mighty CPC does... They reach into the minds and hearts of people, where the CPC fails to stir much positive emotion. The CPC excels best on  ...
...............................................................................................

And you are taking it so personally  ................

I wonder why .............

More generalisations  ............

QUOTE:   They reach into the minds and hearts of people, where the CPC fails to stir much positive emotion.

Maybe a couple  ..............   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.