Author: expatter

Rough justice in America .............. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-9 06:12:14 |Display all floors
My Ciba Geigy ID card was all I needed in Switzerland

All you need in the US is a very high credit score!
The Brotherhood of Knights of the Mystic Sea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 06:19:40 |Display all floors
LC

My Ciba Geigy card was all I needed in Switzerland

In the US, all you need is a really high credit rating

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 06:20:16 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-11-9 06:30:19 |Display all floors

Perfectly safe???

Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2011-11-8 12:58

Yeah, and there is good reason they are afraid at zhongnanhai of having guns in any hands other than those of the Party, because as China Daily itself recently reminded us when clarifying that  ...

Everyday in the US there are deaths by handguns of citizen upon citizen.
From 1990 to 1997 in the United States there were more than 110,000 firearm homicides.
That's on average 37 homicides at day over an eight year period.

You don't hear about that many firearm homicides in China do you?
Why does having firearms make you safer?
Do you think that the Swiss people could rise up against their government if they felt like they were being persecuted?
Is that the type of democracy you have by arming every citizen with an assault rifle?
If having assault rifles in every house make Switzerland such a safe country why do you need the protection of NATO or an ally like the US?
You can fight off the Russians with your pee shooters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 06:50:10 |Display all floors
Europe is different because they don't have the same gun culture as we do.

At least when I was in germany, many violent movies and shows from the US were banned.

I felt very safe in germany.

I feel safe here because I live in a great neighborhood.  But there are neighborhoods I won't go in.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 11:46:40 |Display all floors

What on earth....!!!!

Is this for real...? Arrested for trying to close your bank account...? Only in the US...

Source: politics dot gather dot com

Developing Story: People Arrested for Trying to Close Citibank Accounts
October 15, 2011 09:10 PM EDT
6 people recommend this | comments: 29

More ridiculous arrests coming out of New York today, as Citibank proves it's just as bad, or even worse than Bank of America in how it treats its customers. Earlier today, about two dozen people formed a queue inside the Citibank building in order to close their accounts as a part of the Occupy Wall Street protests. Instead of allowing them to take their money elsewhere, the genius managers and security people in charge locked them inside and had them arrested.

It's not clear why the people were arrested, but speculation is that when the bank would not allow customers to close their accounts, the customers began to protest. When this happened, that's when the genius managers decided to lock them all in and call the police. Nice work, police, protecting your corporate masters.

The arrests were so contrived that you can't help but laugh in bemusement. One woman who was talking angrily with police outside the building was manhandled by what appears to be a plain clothes officer and dragged inside by about five other officers.

Reports from around the internet are saying that two people who succeeded in closing their account left the bank but were forced back inside by police and security officials. In the video posted online, you can see how one woman was practically carried into the bank by a plain clothes officer, where she and the rest of the bank's customers were subsequently arrested. So, if you were just in the neighborhood, and arrived before these people and closed your account, you'd have been arrested for disorderly conduct, whether you were a part of this protest or not. What the hell is this country coming to when you get arrested for simply asserting your right to do what you want with your own money?

The NYC police department is not doing itself any favors by acting with such force and dishonor towards the people it's supposed to be protecting. Citibank, likewise, isn't going to garner any kind of support among its customer base for refusing to allow customers to withdraw their money.

Corporate greed, a police state, citizens arrested for voicing their opinions. Unfortunately, it looks as if the United States is living proof that '1984' has come to pass.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 11:59:55 |Display all floors

Wow...just wow.

It may take awhile, but the protesters will win.

They will make a difference.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.