Views: 30148|Replies: 137

why a foreigner rather than Chinese came to rescue? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-2 15:56:08 |Display all floors
Uruguayan Maria Fernanda saved a drowning woman in the West Lake of Hangzhou on Oct 13, while most of the Chinese just watched and took pictures.

"It was a rainy day and we were walking along the lake. Suddenly, I noticed people from outside were watching at some corner of the lake - we didn't think she was in trouble," said the 34-year-old from Uruguay.

"I thought 'OK, she was probably fishing', but when water reached her, I knew somebody had to do something. But I don't know Chinese and I couldn't scream Chinese," explained Fernanda.

"At that moment, the first thing that came to my mind was you had to do it," she said. "I undressed very quickly and jumped into the water to save her."

She and her husband were later tracked down in Shanghai through the Uruguayan embassy.

"As a foreigner who jumped into the water to save people, I understand the whole society has this question of why a foreigner has to do this rather than Chinese," she said. "But I don't think it's the key question."

"The thing is, when I was coming out of the water with the woman, I saw there were at least seven or eight cameras taking photos of us. I was a little angry and sad, I started to yell in English, 'what are you doing? She was dying and you were only thinking about taking pictures? Life is more important!'" said Fernanda.

"I was angry because the crowd was just curious and simply watching us - it's not a fashion show," she added.

Fernanda said she would rather believe the crowd was in shock than indifferent.

"I think it's not a Chinese problem, it's a global problem. Nowadays, we live in a hurry, everybody is always on the way to somewhere, nobody can take time to look at human value - I'm happy to see people start to think about it again, as for me it's very important."
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 16:54:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Celina0104 at 2011-11-2 17:26
"I think it's not a Chinese problem, it's a global problem."
[

It's a Chinese problem
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 16:55:32 |Display all floors
and China needs some hunky lifesavers
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 16:57:00 |Display all floors
you can imagine what would happen if anything seriously threatened Chinese stability

every man for themselves
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 16:58:32 |Display all floors
all pretense of harmony would vanish like the sexy lady on a magician's table
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 17:15:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lebeast at 2011-11-2 16:54
[

It's a Chinese problem

Yes, it is a Chinese problem when indifference to what happens, even loss of lives, becomes epidemic in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-2 17:22:21 |Display all floors

the country need the help of government and law

As to the indifference of chinese people, i think it is the result of some shameless people. They accept the help and then bite the person give hands to them, whereas the givernment and the low can not protect the benefit of the kindhearted person. In case of hurting by the dishonest people, they have to avoid the trouble. The country need the help of the government and the law   to improve  the moral atmosphere.
www.chinaholidays.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.