Author: expatter

National Holiday: Great Wall Excursion …. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-10-19 11:25:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-10-19 11:13

No ..........

I don't like slippery steps and slopes in the winter ...........

I cannot see much fun in slipping arse over tit in that environment ..........

I mean before it becomes slippery.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-10-19 11:27:07 |Display all floors

So time to do a little research about the Great Wall ..........

Most importantly the significance of the tourist spot I had been to ..........

So, what did I find out about the Shanhaiguan part of the Wall?

Well, that it is where it became confusing.

The general information is that this is a main Northern Gate of Beijing and that the Manchu army under the Prince Regent Dorgon was given access through the gate in 1644 by the Ming General Wu Sangui.

This led to the fall of the Ming Dynasty and the beginning of the Qing.

But that is where it became confusing.

Why did General Wusangui with his 40,000 troops let the Manchu hordes through the wall?

And why did the name Li Zicheng keep popping up from nowhere as a 1644 invader of Beijing who supposedly took the city leading to the last Ming Emperor hanging himself?

I mean if the Manchu Prince Dorgon had to be let into the city, how did Li Zicheng get in?

That is where many ambiguous and numerous different accounts of what happened in 1644 led me to a surprise.

The Dashun Dynasty ………..

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-10-19 11:28:30 |Display all floors

?

Filter time  .........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 11:29:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-10-19 11:25
I mean before it becomes slippery.

Oh ...........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 13:23:15 |Display all floors

The Dashun Dynasty ..........

Towards the end of the Ming Dynasty it was basically falling apart and the eunuchs’ were a heavy influence and the Emperor Chongzhen ran a fatuous and incompetent regime. The Manchu’s had conquered Mongolia and Korea and sat outside the northern Ming gates at Shanhaiguan.

Famine and starvation had led to uprisings and peasant rebellions with a peasant leader Li Zicheng who became King Li Zicheng and based in Xian. Li Zicheng was actually a fierce warrior with a total hatred for the corrupt landlords and the Ming.

He was also an altruist and philanthropist and redistributed the land to the peasants, and in return he built a willing army which could raise hundreds of thousands of men.

Hmm ……… that reminds me of someone else who came to prominence in China in the 20th century .........     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 13:24:17 |Display all floors

There is a very romantic story about Li Zicheng where he married Gao Guiying and the couple became immortalized in poetry as she herself was a warrior and a general.

On April 25th 1644 the Wall and Beijing fell to Li Zicheng who attacked the wall at Juyong Pass to the east of Shanhaiguan (the main tourist part) and the attack was so fierce after Li Zicheng tricked the defenders into defending a different part of the wall that the eunuch leaders relented and allowed King Li Zicheng to pass.

Whereupon he fell on Beijing and the Emperor Chongzhen ordered his family to commit suicide. He killed his children except the air-apparent who was taken out of the city. Then he hanged himself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 13:41:21 |Display all floors

Li Zicheng proclaimed himself the Emperor of the Dashan Dynasty and called for the support of General Wu Sangui who on finding out of a bloody massacre done to the Ming which included his own father and some family members refused to submit. Li Zicheng sent his army to take down Wu Sangui who was now sandwiched between the Manchu outside the Wall gates and the approaching army and made a deal with the Manchu and let them in.

The battle lasted a couple of days and Li Zicheng fled. The Manchu Qing decided to stay and Wu Sangui pursued Li Zicheng. Li Zicheng was killed the following year in March at Mount Juigang in Hubei and thus ending a Dynasty that never even produced an heir.

To me therefore standing at this quiet part of the Wall (The Ancient Great Wall (Yanqing) is the official name) where such a significant piece of history was set was even more interesting and a great way to get to know ‘The Great Wall’.

We again set out to the Great Wall in the National holiday and instead of getting off the train at the main tourist spot at Badaling carried on to Yanqing.  Yanqing is a delight as it is modern and clean and even the traffic is sedate.  We stayed in a villa and were able to take in some of the many attractions in that area such as Longqing Valley and the largest county level museum in China.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.