Views: 6085|Replies: 22

Christianity in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-9-13 09:44:32 |Display all floors
When I was in Shanghai last year, I saw girls in white shirts and skirts spreading the "good news" on the streets. I have observed that Christianity is growing exponentially in China. In fact, several reports are showing that the numbers are 'exploding'.

On the BBC's God in China, Christianity and Catholicism, it says there are more Chinese at a church on Sunday than in the whole of Europe! On service days, devotees are 'spilling' on to the streets. Churches are re-built to accommodate rising numbers of worshipers. A conservative figure estimates there are 60 million Christians in China. And there are more "house churches" than the official churches in the country.

Will China become the next Christian state like the Philippines and South Korea? Have your say

[ Last edited by taikor at 2011-9-13 09:46 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-13 10:22:56 |Display all floors
Christianity is growing exponentially in China. In fact, several reports are showing that the numbers are 'exploding'. .

Yes it's growing, but "exponentially" or is  'exploding' is only out of your wishful imagination (if I don't call it a deliberate lie).

I also heard the number is growing, but it will never match those of Buddhists, Taoists, Mos lems, not to mention atheists.  

China is basically an atheist country.  Believers of all kinds of religions added up only account for a very small proportion in the  entire population. There are foreigners vigorously promote their religions in China. They are free to do it, but don't forget to obey China's laws.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-13 11:06:38 |Display all floors
A number of my Chinese colleagues in Taicang (near Shanghai) are Christians. And "christian factories" who employs Christians and potential converts are growing so rapidly in China that the authorities are paying serious attention to its successful business models, does say something about its phenomenal growth. It caught the attention of foreign medias. I'd say it's "booming".

China used to have "house temples" before the cultural revolution. Yi Guan Dao is notorious for producing house temples. Now it's house churches.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-13 11:18:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by taikor at 2011-9-13 11:06
And "christian factories" who employs Christians and potential converts are growing so rapidly in China that the authorities are paying serious attention to its successful business models, does say something about its phenomenal growth.

I work in a Sino-German joint venture in Beijing and none of my Chinese colleagues are Christian or Catholic.  I have never heard Christian companies can be successful business models. I hope you are not fool your disciple employees and pay them smaller wages saying it's the will of Jesus?

[ Last edited by NE_Tigress at 2011-9-13 11:21 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-13 11:20:20 |Display all floors
I have heard Taicang is notorious famous for the low wages.

Probably because of those "christian factories".  

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-9-13 11:48:54 |Display all floors

It depends on which foreign media

"It caught the attention of foreign medias. I'd say it's "booming"".

The right wing news network "Fox News" in the US would spin anything into "booming" if it served their purpose.
You could have 150 Christians converts in a small city in China and they'd say Christianity is booming in China.
I suspect the majority of Chinese are too intelligent to fall for this. Some who are starving might say "Oh yeah, I'm a Christian"
in order to get a job in such a factory as you describe, but they are probably laughing all the way to the bank on Fridays.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-9-13 11:51:09 |Display all floors

Reply to post #2

""China is basically an atheist country.  Believers of all kinds of religions added up only
account for a very small proportion in the  entire population.""

Thanks for the reassurance. Let's hope China stays that way as a refuge for the sane.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.