Views: 2407|Replies: 10

Want to eat a moon cake? Pay your tax first. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-8-29 11:15:26 |Display all floors
As the Mid-autumn Day is approaching, most of the Chinese are preparing to eat moon cakes for celebration. But do you know that the moon cakes your companies or your work units give you -- as a festival present -- are taxable? (Which means you should pay tax for the moon cakes you receive?)

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/usa ... ontent_13207834.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, in-kinds benefits are taxable, according to the Chinese tax law.

Next time you receive a gift, be ware, you may have to pay taxes.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 11:25:02 |Display all floors
Who eat mooncakes these days.

I throw away the mooncakes a few days after the festival. Too much sugar, too sweet to eat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 11:48:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-8-29 11:25
Who eat mooncakes these days.

I throw away the mooncakes a few days after the festival. Too much sugar, too sweet to eat.

Yeah, very few Chinese eat mooncakes -- that is, Chinese mooncakes anyway.

I heard they now take a special interest in French mooncakes. Sorry about my ignorance, but I didn't know there are mooncakes in France.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 12:40:31 |Display all floors

Reply #2 NE_Tigress's post

It's a nice confectionary, rich in Tradition!

Try eating different flavours, and cutting 1/8 bite sizes.
Use warm Chinese Tea to wash down the flavours.
Don't eat a single MOON CAKE by yourself, always in 1/8 size, and with the family!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 12:42:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2011-8-29 12:40
Don't eat a single MOON CAKE by yourself, always in 1/8 size, and with the family!  ...

I only eat about 1/8 of a mooncake each year.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 12:46:19 |Display all floors

There are quite a few types of mooncakes

These are the LOTUS PASTE.

You can eat it PASTRY SKIN with LOTUS PASTE, or with 2 egg yolk or 4 egg yolk + sunflower seed bit.
There is also another with PASTRY SKIN with ALL KIND OF NUTS, SEED, and SWEET BEETS.

Nowadays, there is also SNOW SKIN PASTRY (it's like Japanese Mochi pastry, or Chinese sweet soft "Mochi") and samelotus seed, (with egg yolk), Red Bean.

American chain stores now have join in the "tradition", you can find ICE CREAM mooncake, and PASTRY SKIN with chocolate paste, coffee paste etc.

(Most of the taxes you pay, is in the FUEL, UTILITIES you pay directly, indirectly - Petrol, Diesel, Coal, Electricity and the old style 17% VAT)

Cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-29 12:49:26 |Display all floors

The 17% VAT tax is a bit OUTDATED.

Time to replace that with DIRECT TAX on REVENUE MERCHANTS + additional state mints - and limit it to less than 10% of GNP.

AND Social Security spending by Income tax on workers, middle class + payroll tax (for unemployment benefits, old age pension) and pre retirement investment individual funds.

Cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.