Author: DanseMacabre

Beijing's shabby underground escalators [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-8-1 17:32:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-8-1 17:28
There are thousands or probably more escalators operating in Beijing everyday.

One or two break down doesn't mean all have problems.

You are just jealous and finding fault with things in Ch ...

Jealous? Oh really? Thanks for your high compliment.

One or two breakdowns don't mean "all have problems". Fair enough.

But I think there is another set of data available for you to chew.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 17:36:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by DanseMacabre at 2011-8-1 17:30
With the help of my friends, I now have at least one source of the pic and the related news.

http://finance.qq.com/a/20110801/001789.htm

It's in Chinese. And if you don't believe y ...

One of the thousands of escalators break down will make me feel unsafe travelling in Beijing?

Why not come and travel in this wonderful city by yourself?

You will find it's one of the safest cities on this planet.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 17:42:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by DanseMacabre at 2011-8-1 17:32

But I think there is another set of data available for you to chew. ...

Do you think I should take your "data" seriously or believe my own experience travelling everyday in Beijing.  

Enjoy the bad news about China loser, if it makes you feel better.     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 17:50:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-8-1 17:28
There are thousands or probably more escalators operating in Beijing everyday.

One or two break down doesn't mean all have problems.

You are just jealous and finding fault with things in Ch ...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/usa ... ontent_13024492.htm

"BEIJING - China's quality watchdog said Sunday that over 4,000 escalators and elevators have been suspended over safety concerns during a nationwide safety-check campaign.

By the end of July, more than 10,000 escalators and elevators had been identified by local quality authorities as having potential safety problems, according to the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ).

"After repairs and maintenance, more than 4,000 escalators or elevators remain suspended for use," said the AQSIQ.

The safety checks came after an ascending escalator on Beijing subway Line 4, an Otis 513 MPE, suddenly reversed, and killed a 13-year-old boy and injured 30 others earlier this month."

Interestingly, this piece of news, from China Daily, conveniently omitted the total number of escalators and elevators that have been checked: 231306;

Total number of escalators and elevators "as having potential safety problems": 11896, to be more precise. (More than 10,000...that's what you call news...)

Which means about 1 in every 20 escalators and (or) elevators is problematic.

As you said, it indeed doesn't imply all of them have problems. But you only have so much luck.

(Source for the figures: http://epaper.jinghua.cn/html/2011-08/01/content_685856.htm)  Is that Jinghua or Beijing Times? I'm not sure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 17:53:09 |Display all floors
I was referring the bilinguish note plate sticked on the escalator not your word from you post.

There was a joke about translation. the door to exit wrongly translated to export. So this one is correct.

BTW, about some people picking faults from China, it doesn't always because of  they're jealous  but thy demand China better management to match the pace of economic growth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 17:56:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by username7 at 2011-8-1 17:53
BTW, about some people picking faults from China, it doesn't always because of  they're jealous  but thy demand China better management to match the pace of economic growth.

I can distinguish those who are worried about problems in China from those who are happy about problems in China.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-1 19:26:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by username7 at 2011-8-1 17:53
I was referring the bilinguish note plate sticked on the escalator not your word from you post.

There was a joke about translation. the door to exit wrongly translated to export. So this one is ...

She wishes she could (really make the distinction between who do care about China and who do love picking faults)!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.