Author: glopis

I miss you Amy Winehouse [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-19 06:56:21 |Display all floors
kiwichina Post time: 2011-7-25 12:46
She may have been a good singer and had a good voice --- but she will never be a legend and she is c ...

I 100percent agree she was not a huge star. Except for that time she won those 23 awards for one album, sold those 14 million copies for one album. Inspired that Adele woman who won 6 grammies and sold over 17 million copies in a year for one album, inspired that Lady Gaga woman who is despite only having been around for a few years one of the best selling artists who ever lived, and that Florence Welch who has sold over 6 million albums worldwide. Or when she performed at Nelson Mandela's birthday party alongside Queen, Annie Lennox, had Diana Ross, Shirley Bassey, George Michael, Ringo Starr, Paul Mcartney, Beyonce, Jay Z, Lily Allen, all say she was amazing.  Or that other time when Tony Bennett a guy who has been in the buisness for 60 years or something worked with the likes of Etta James, Frank Sinattra, Bing Crosby, Aretha Franklin specifically seek her out to work with her and said she was one of the best artists he has ever worked with, or when Quincy Jones the guy who made the best selling album of all time sought her out to work with her, or when the Rolling Stones worked with her too. But yeah apart from all of that she was just a junkie who never had any success or impact and was certainly never a star.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-19 07:15:03 |Display all floors
kiwichina Post time: 2011-7-26 11:16
Geeee.............no more posts for Amy?????????

Has everyone forgotten her already?............

Yeah everyone has forgotten her your point is 100 percent right. Except though she did just win two grammy awards 7 months after her death, there is a huge memorial concert planned with the biggest names in music Adele, Florence Welch, Lily Allen, Jessie J all lined up to appear in the summer, she only in the weeks after her death had everyone from Adele, David Boreanaz, William Shatner, Jesisie J, Rihanna, Christina Appelgate, Rebecca Ferguson, Lady Gaga, Simon Pegg, U2, Lily Allen, Florence Welch, Alec Baldwin, Demi Moore, Stephen Fry, Pink, Coldplay pay tribute to her. Green day only wrote a song as a tribute to her said to be released soon, she was only given a special tribute at the MOBO awards, the MTV awards, the VMA awards, the Ivor Novello awards in the months after her death, a special tribute from the VH1 Diva's six months after her passing, fashion show's by Gwen Stefani and Jean Paul Gaultier devoted to and inspired by her recently, her album was recently number 1 in several countries around the world 6 months after her death and despite only being released in december was one of the best sellers of the year, but yeah she is totally forgotten about your point does not look laughable six months on not at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-19 08:58:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by longzhou at 2012-2-19 08:59
kobloi Post time: 2012-2-19 06:16
Yeah your right because Jim Morrison of course always gave great live performances as did Hendrix? ...

It will go with tastes I suppose. As an artist I have nothing agaisnt her and I think that, at the beggining of her carreer she did have fenomenous performances. Once she reached the top she just abused alcohol and 99% of her songs and performances were terrible; only acceptable because she ahd the name she had. A common person like you and I in those situations would had been kicked off stage......you know that very well!
About the sales; please don't compare the XXIst century merchandising technics with the 1970s. Today Internet gathers millions in seconds; when I was young (well back in the 70s) if you wanted to listen to the Rolling Stones, you had to climb to the roof of your house (I was living in Spain) set up a huge anthena and wait to see if any british radio station had their concert on. Besides those were the times of the vynil records.......now it's all MP stuff download!
In any case, my personal opinion, I repeat it's my opinion, is that she has been given way too much credit in  relation to her real and carreer value!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.