Author: expatter

Saudi ................ Jail for criticising the king [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-7-25 18:16:12 |Display all floors
As far as the inconsistency - do you think its because people don't expect anything better from saudi arabia?

Seriously, nothing shocks me about that country....and I don't think they CAN do better - at least not with the current leadership in place.

They are kind of a lost cause.  I'm hoping the arab spring will visit saudi arabia and make a change there, but I'm not real hopefull.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-7-25 18:16:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-7-25 18:13
So are you against political prisoners or not?

I am against them being used in a cynical one-way game of HR and politics  .............

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-7-25 18:19:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-7-25 18:16
As far as the inconsistency - do you think its because people don't expect anything better from saudi arabia?
Seriously, nothing shocks me about that country....and I don't think they CAN do bet ...

Very naive  ...........

It is because the US agencies want Saudi to stay OUT of the news  ...........

And it is not just that one matter but many especially executions, torture and HR .........

They are an ally and a BIG customer  ............

The recent small matter of women drivers was like a shower of rain .......

Gone  ........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-7-25 18:19:56 |Display all floors
#24 So you're answer is 'no'.  ok.  So your point of this thread is not that the saudis are wrong, its that they are not being criticized as loudly as china?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-7-25 18:22:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-7-25 18:19

Very naive  ...........

It is because the US agencies want Saudi to stay OUT of the news  ...........

And it is not just th ...

Well I do think you are right their - the saudis are an embarrassment.  Admitting all that they do kind of makes it hard to justify our relationship with them.

So are you for the 'right' for women to protest the government for the right to drive or do you think citizens should not be free to protest a government?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-7-25 18:23:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-7-25 18:19
#24 So you're answer is 'no'.  ok.  So your point of this thread is not that the saudis are wrong, its that they are not being criticized as loudly as china?

My answer has not changed  ...........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-7-25 18:26:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-7-25 18:22
Well I do think you are right their - the saudis are an embarrassment.  Admitting all that they do kind of makes it hard to justify our relationship with them.
So are you for the 'right' for ...

If the Western media want to highlight HR problems  ..........

Then it should be done in an open and fair manner across all societies and cultures  ........

Not just to further political aims of the ruling elite for cynical purposes   ...........

HR ..........

A political prisoner in Saudi should have the same rights to a Nobel Prize as a Chinese political prisoner .............     

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.