Author: ThankoPan

China plans to boost seawater desalination [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-6-24 21:01:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-6-24 20:52

I think it's the ultimate way to supply water for China's thirty western regions. The per ton desalination cost is already reduced from 20 rmb to about 6 rmb, and is expected to  ...

Yes, but this method will be extremely capital intensive, and may be mothballed 90% the time!
Also, if the method chosen for the desalination process is powered using China's fossil fuel generated electricity, then I will make strong objection to it.

I believe water conservation, starage, irrigation channels, canals and river diversions are the best long-term capital expenditure methods in China's water problem solution.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:03:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2011-6-24 20:58

Waste water processing and Water Recycling.

In times of prolonged drought, which often happen in some parts of China, you sometimes even don't have much waste water to recycle.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:04:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2011-6-24 20:58

Waste water processing and Water Recycling.

This should be made mandatory in all large scale factories.

It would cut down China's water usage by half, overnight.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:04:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ThankoPan at 2011-6-24 21:01

Yes, but this method will be extremely capital intensive, and may be mothballed 90% the time!
Also, if the method chosen for the desalination process is powered using China's fossil fuel gene ...

there is as well low capital, solar desalination,
it is dependened on weather and highly land intensive though.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:09:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ThankoPan at 2011-6-24 21:04

This should be made mandatory in all large scale factories.

It would cut down China's water usage by half, overnight.

yeah, as much as I'd like that,
but driving up chinese manufacturing costs further, thus potentially impacting the Economy.

It could be advisable to consider that for the future though, as developement continues.

An Uncle of mine operating agriculture in Europe also has to safeguard full reprocessing of any consumed water back to clean condition - that might be affordable for a big capital intensive farmer there,

could an ordinary chinese farmer afford this without going out of Business?

[ Last edited by LCSULLA at 2011-6-24 09:14 PM ]
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:22:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ThankoPan at 2011-6-24 21:01

Also, if the method chosen for the desalination process is powered using China's fossil fuel generated electricity, then I will make strong objection to it.

Last November, there was a report that a private company from Inner Mongolia was going to build a pipeline diverting seawater from Bohai Bay to Xinjiang. Part of the seawater would be desalinated in Inner Mongolia for local use and the rest to be transmitted further to Xinjiang's desert regions.Don't the current status of the project.

As for the energy used for the desalination, there are plenty of solar and wind power resources in Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang.  I don't think they need to use fossil fuel generated power.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-24 21:23:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2011-6-24 21:09

yeah, as much as I'd like that,
but driving up chinese manufacturing costs further, thus potentially impacting the Economy.
It could be advisable to consider that for the future though, as  ...

As already proven, cost is but one criteria why the West shop in China.

The Yanks are finding this out now!
They can moan and groan, but the Chinese are charging their Walmart stuff more, by up to 20% in some case.

".... but where else can we buy these fine 'made in China' quality stuff?",
a desperate American was interviewed on Bloomberg.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.