Views: 16184|Replies: 36

Do you garden? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-6-7 21:25:19 |Display all floors
Please post pictures of your garden, and tell us about your interest.

I have a small garden with flowers, bushes, trees and lawn in front, and a vegetable garden in back. We have clay soil with some loam, rock, and a tiny amount of sand. It is excellent for trees, herbs, and grass, but very difficult for flowers and vegetables. Many years of work adding copious amounts of compost  are paying off.
front porch aug 2010.JPG
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-6-7 23:47:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1st_resp at 2011-6-7 21:25
Please post pictures of your garden, and tell us about your interest.

I have a small garden with flowers, bushes, trees and lawn in front, and a vegetable garden in back. We have clay soil with ...

Too small but pretty

No swimming pool

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-8 00:02:04 |Display all floors
Chi le ma Austin.

Haha! No, no swimming pool, but there is a river not too far away. :)

Yes, it is small, and sometimes I wish for a larger garden. But, then I would wonder where I would find the time to maintain it. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-8 01:51:22 |Display all floors
Here is a long spur columbine. They bloom once a year for a about a week in late spring, and then die back to a small, bushy plant that goes dormant in fall. The hummingbirds love them.
June 2011 long spur columbine.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-8 02:06:00 |Display all floors
A good garden requires good soil, and good soil requires compost. It starts here in the barrel where all organic matter - garden debris, shredded paper, and kitchen scraps - are comingled and allowed to cook. If the conditions are right, beneficial bacteria flourish raising the temperature beginning the process of decomposition, and sequestering nutrients, ultimately resulting in a stable finished product in several months.
June 2011 raw compost.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-8 05:57:42 |Display all floors
After a month of cooking, the volume reduces to almost a tenth of the original mass. Water has blown off. Soft tissues have decomposed. That leaves just a small amount of cellulose and lignin based material darkened by biological slime. These requires fungi, insects, and worms to break down further. Hence the need to pile the immature compost in a windrow to finish undisturbed for several months. As it becomes ready in the barrel, I pile it up. Often, I will dig a few scoops out to make compost tea which I water the plants with during the summer. I hill the potatoes with the dregs from the tea. In the fall, after the garden dies back, I spread the compost to finish in situ on next years rows. Flowers and strawberries start in a fresh bed of compost each year.
June 2011 compost pile.JPG
June 2011 veggie bed.JPG
June 2011 daisies.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-6-11 10:50:06 |Display all floors

lovely

It is fabulous.  I am fascinated by your lovely and beautiful flower.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.