Author: expatter

Will Occupied Germany, Japan and S. Korea ....... [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-4-24 21:25:42 |Display all floors

OK ...................

I will go back a bit ..........

Why did the Japanese majority in an election vote for a Premier who vowed to get rid or move the bases (and although he got ousted) the wishes of the electorate disappeared too ......

Coincidence .........  ?

Or just as in America .......

The electorate do not count on issues any bigger than local ones  ..........  ?

And vote on an issue such as 'Change' and get very little change ........

Well apart from 'loose change' .............

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-4-24 22:02:12 |Display all floors

You have this strange way ........

Of waffling and expecting everyone to be able to comprehend .......

If you are going to respond could you at least give some better data ........

I mean like when, as in a year might help ....... ?

Or is that just too much to ask for ......... ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-24 22:23:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-4-24 21:25
I will go back a bit ..........

Why did the Japanese majority in an election vote for a Premier who vowed to get rid or move the bases (and although he got ousted) the wishes of the electorate d ...

And what were the statements of why this all didn't happen?  I can't remember who exactly it was, but I remember the explanation and it backs everything I just said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-24 23:05:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-4-24 22:23
And what were the statements of why this all didn't happen?  I can't remember who exactly it was, but I remember the explanation and it backs everything I just said.
...................................................................................................

I think seneca spotted it the best ...........

I opened this thread because I was just interested in the topic ............

So I am not looking to 'best' anyone here, just to discuss  ...............

What I know for a fact in that the Japanese 'people' do not want the American presence and that comes from as stated election results which have been ignored now ..............

As stated I do not know whether the Germans 'people's' feel so insecure that they feel they need the American presence ..........

What I do know is that both governments continue to support this presence and only those leaders that don't seem to get ousted ........

Now if you state that the Japanese and Germans both ask for this protection then I would suggest that is only their governments who are directly interested, and not because of their people's but because of the influence of American interests .........

And then the question is: Why would the US supply 'free' support as you state, when the people of the US desperately need the US government to work for the American people as regards the economy, jobs and health care and not external seemingly unrelated matters ........

A good example is that ALL Americans could have free health care and change to spare if the US government policy was different .........

And the last figure I heard was that each American is in debt for about $44,000 because of your deficit .............

No a good picture, but some nice uniforms and plenty of other people's territory .......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-25 01:22:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-4-24 23:05
  ...................................................................................................
And then the question is: Why would the US supply 'free' support as you state, when the people of the US desperately need the US government to work for the American people as regards the economy, jobs and health care and not external seemingly unrelated matters ........

A good example is that ALL Americans could have free health care and change to spare if the US government policy was different .........

Singing to the choir here.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-25 13:11:07 |Display all floors
# 10

1. The sad thing is - they want us there.  They make money from our bases, and our soldiers contribute to the economy.  They don't have to spend as much on military defense - its all being subsidized by the US.

2. We can't afford to keep subsidizing these countries military defense.  Its time they take that over.
Copy code

American forces have their own shops where they buy everything in USD. They hardly contribute to a country's economy except that some local people are employed.

As for subsidizing these countries. Here are a few comments from the Japanese weekly - 'Shukan' (April 29th edition):

qte

The whole vast operation 'Tomodachi' is purely for show – and who will be paying the bill when the 'hearts and minds' have been won? You guessed it – Japan.

or

A U.S. Marine Corps’ Chemical Biological Incident Response Force (CBIRF), 150 of whose members landed in Japan in early April and on April 9 staged training routines at the Yokota air base. The exercises were open to the press. Japan’s media treated them as “saviors,” but they were nothing of the kind. “CBIRF was deployed following a strong demand from the American government, to which Japan yielded,” the magazine quotes an unnamed defense ministry official as saying. “The plan was not for them to enter the fray, just to train in public view for show. All they accomplished was to create the impression that Japan’s Self-Defense Forces in Fukushima in their protective gear dealing with the catastrophe were not to be depended on.” They were not called up to Fukushima at all (radiation fear).

or

Between April 1 and April 3, 78 bodies were found along the Iwate Prefecture coast, supposedly by Japanese and American rescuers working cooperatively. In fact, an unnamed Maritime Self-Defense Force member told Shukan Post, “All the U.S. side did was send planes and helicopters into the air. The searching was done by MSDF, Japan Coast Guard and Japanese police divers.”

or the best part

Friendship doesn’t come cheap. Operation Tomodachi is an $80 million undertaking, the cost to be covered through supplements to Japan’s financial commitment to support American troops stationed in Japan
unqte

I believe this is not any different in SK, Germany or Italy etc.

So much for the 'free service'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-25 18:04:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2011-4-25 13:11
# 10

[code]The sad thing is - they want us there.  They make money from our bases, and our soldiers contribute to the economy.  They don't have to spend as much on military defense - its all b ...

I beg to differ here.  I was an army wife stationed in germany.  We lived off base, paid rent, bought cars, shopped, ate at restaurants, drank atbars - etc.  The only thing I bought on post was coffee and cigarettes and liquor.   They were cheaper on post, other than that, there was only one grocery and one general kind of store.  No place to really buy clothes or shoes.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.