Author: khonchin

Tibetans should be treated like American Indians [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-4-19 20:57:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-4-19 20:40
8: You display the most unbelievable disregard and disrespect for native cultures. I am the last chap to posit that cultures must remain 'stagnant'. But cultures grow out of their own realisation t ...

I agree with many of your points.  I really do.  But I'm also a realist.  If you are a minority culture, it only helps you to learn the language of the ruling majority.  How else can you truly protect your own if you don't have advocates within the majority?  Also, if you are stuck as a minority group - how can you advance in a society if you are not given the same advantages (education and job opportunities)?  What is worse?  To remain culturally intact as an island in an alien sea, or to integrate and make the best of the situation?  Pride and language doesn't feed your children.  It doesn't provide clean water or adequate housing.  Pride will not give you a job.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 23:07:28 |Display all floors
Never emulate a bad example.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-20 03:54:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-4-19 20:40
8: You display the most unbelievable disregard and disrespect for native cultures. I am the last chap to posit that cultures must remain 'stagnant'. But cultures grow out of their own realisation t ...

So am I a victim because my native Pict ancestors were subjugated first by the Celts, forcing us to learn Gaelic, and then by the Anglo-Saxons who forced us to learn Anglish?

Good thing we fought off those Romans invaders and forced them to build that wall or we might have lost our kilts and haggis too (note: both have their origins in the 16th Century, long after we Scots ceased to have any identity of our own)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-20 04:15:40 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by MaKaiYan at 2011-4-20 03:54

".... forced them (Romans) to build that wall ...."

The Romans were not forced.

They chose to build the wall there because they did not want to go any further north.

It was a good place to choose because it is a narrow piece of land.

If you look at a map you will see that it is the shortest distance between two seas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-20 06:43:50 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-20 14:56:49 |Display all floors
Funny statements can be found in this thread. If I look at some comments I cannot but believe that a certain poster is either on the payroll of his unholiness or his master(s).

I don't like the word assimilation. I prefer adaptation and this does not mean cultural 'genocide'. It means adaptation and recognition of political and socio-economical realities. This has taken place throughout history all over the world. Only cultures and peoples -small or big - that can adapt will have a bright future. Cultures that are stuck in the past will have a hard time to cope with reality. Life as well as our environment undergoes permanent evolution whether we like it or not. Preserving the past is good but the past does not show us the way in the future. This is something that the Taramtala clique did and will never grasp.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-20 17:54:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-4-20 17:24
And for similar reasons, Europe is still grappling with its own set of ethnic resistance, as is the case with the Basques, theBretons in Brittany, etc. Only the Baltic tribes of Estonians, Lithuanians and Latvians gained full statehood.Did you know that some of these peoples have been there for the past 4000 years, and their languages have been preserved to this day?...

Right - because true multiculturalism doesn't work.  The minorities will always fight for statehood and there is never really any peace unless there is assimilation.  Estonians would never accept being a part of Russia.  The Basques?  Will they ever accept being a part of spain?

Either every ethnic group has their own state, or there has to be integration to make things work.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.