Author: satsu_jin

China speaks better English than India, says study [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-4-12 10:55:16 |Display all floors

Chinese language

I think foreigners learning Chinese is just as important as Chinese learning English. Maybe someone can explain to me why Chinese language schools here in China are so expensive, and the quality of instruction is so poor. Outside of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou there are few schools and the instruction is even worse. The schools seem more interested in charging for room and board than for instruction.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-12 11:02:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by keenobserver at 2011-4-12 11:55

1. I think foreigners learning Chinese is just as important as Chinese learning English.
Copy code

No doubt about it but this thread deals with a comparison of China and India in English speaking ability.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-12 11:04:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by woaichina at 2011-4-12 08:19 AM
Our China have more than 5000 years of culture and do most things very good.  Our education system also much gooder.  I study Chinese for seven years ago and my English now very better than India people speak English.  Also, China people than India people more beautifuler.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-12 12:42:25 |Display all floors

Reply #7 woaichina's post

Are you trying to make a monkey of yourself with what you have posted here? If you are, you have succeeded
magnificently. Congratulations. Now, what is your point?

Incidentally, are you one of those "products" taught by one of those " more than 100,000 native English speaking
teachers working in China .........." as been reported?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-12 13:34:57 |Display all floors

Cant Compare between India and China.

I am not sure this report is entirely true. Well for one thing, I don't think many Indians were aware of such a study being carried out so as to take part in it. Then there is also an important point to consider. The western research such as this might not acknowledge an Indian with and Indian accent in English to be proficient in English. This is an important point because you will see many Indians speaking English but few of them having an accent which is considered to be neutral. Something which the outsourcing industry is looking out for in any Country. I personally do not think that Chinese people are much closer to Indians in terms of a their ability to use English language. I will give one example. I work in a Chinese Company in Shanghai and most of the staff working in the office are not good with English language. When I say "good" I mean their ability to read, write, listen and speak. Even those Chinese who are able to speak English are not able to write, read and understand other speakers.

But having said this let me make it very clear that I don't think the ability to use English makes the people of a Country any greater than others. Indians have this level of ability to use English language because of the huge influence of the British rule. It is a good thing that we have given importance to this language in order to have a greater openness to the ROW. But this is not something which we should be proud of because to tell you the truth, it is not something that can be called as a achievement.

As far the Chinese are concerned, I think it is a very good thing that the people are giving importance to English language. If any fraction of the Chinese population is not able to use English, I don't think its because of their inability but it is simply because of the National policy towards English.

So, in my opinion, let more Chinese people learn English and let Indians also learn English. This way we can have better communication between each other and create better peace and stability in the region.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-12 13:46:36 |Display all floors

Reply #1 satsu_jin's post

Out of 44 countries rated in the EF index, Norway boasted the highest level of English
proficiency, while Kazakhstan was at the bottom of the list.

Could you be kind enough as to direct me to the site of the above-mentioned poll? Thank you.

On the sideline, I would like to point out that Indians are very linguistically articulate and for that reason,
"the outsourcing to India which has seen Western companies set up IT back-up or call centres in cities
such as Bangalore and Hyderabad" is not a coincident.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-12 14:09:32 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by sansukong at 2011-4-12 14:46

1. Could you be kind enough as to direct me to the site of the above-mentioned poll? Thank you.
Copy code

Sure, here are two links:

w w w .  prnew sw ire . c o m/news-releases/scandinavians-at-the-top-russia-turkey-and-south-american-countries-score-low-in-english-language-skills-118903419.h  t m l

and

w  w  w.efjapan . co .  jp  /epi/ef-epi-ranking/?tc=FQ    (omit spaces in both links)

The second link is a ranking of the 44 countries and territories which participated. It's in Japanese. If you need a translation, pls. let me know. I'll be back in the evening.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.