Author: firstcause

Worldwide Protests Against the Yanks! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-9-22 07:41:57 |Display all floors

'More anti-corporate demos due in US'

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39AM GMT

Reddit

A US journalist says there will be more anti-corporate protests in the United States similar to the September 17 demonstration, Press TV reports.

"This is not necessarily only one day as September 17, where we were trying to make our point needs as organizers and as activists, but there will be protests like the one seen on Wall Street until our needs are acknowledged by our federal government," Anna Lekas Miller, a New York-based journalist, told Press TV's US Desk on Tuesday.

Hundreds of Americans gathered in front of the Wall Street in New York on September 17 to protest against corporatism in the country.

Protesters are still in lower Manhattan area since September 17, voicing opposition to political connections between the corporations and the US lawmakers.

Miller noted that almost all Americans have been affected by the US economic crises, including the job crisis, as the government is spending trillions of dollars on wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"Unemployment crisis is now a poverty crisis," she said.

She added that America "is fighting two huge wars in the Middle East and giving many many billions of dollars to other countries in military aid" at the expense of cutting crucial "social, education, food stamp, and childcare" programs inside the country.

Miller argued that the US government "unlike so many other governments of the world is very very reluctant to give basic subsidies" for domestic programs.

The US is grappling with a harsh economic uncertainty and high unemployment rate.

The jobless rates in 20 US states were above the national rate of 9.1 percent last month, according to the US Labor Department.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-22 07:43:03 |Display all floors

Police crack down on 'Occupy Wall Street' protesters

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46PM GMT

Reddit

New York City police were cracking down on the "Occupy Wall Street" protesters, arresting six people on Monday afternoon and continuing their enforcement early Tuesday morning.

Video has emerged of some of the arrests, with police throwing some protesters to the ground before putting them in handcuffs and even dragging one individual across the street for 20 seconds.

One of the arrested protesters, Jason Amadi, said he was left "more empowered" to protest by the police's actions.

"I was chalking on the sidewalk when I was surrounded by officers, they told me to put my hands behind my back and they handcuffed me and took me to the police station," he said, as reported by Democracy Now.

"I was really upset by this, but really what it did was empower me to be here because this is more than our government being taken by the banks and exploiting all of us. This is about our First Amendment rights, our right to assemble and really just taking back our government for the people." Raw Story

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.