Author: 468259058

Why block Wikipedia in my area again? [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-3-26 12:38:16 |Display all floors

Chinese censorship betrays vulnerability

Good editorial in today's Financial Times, Tear down the great firewall. It takes the Chinese authorities to task for censoring the internet during the wave of Arab protests.

At the weekend, Google accused Beijing of disrupting its email service, a claim that the country's foreign ministry has since denied, but without much conviction.

The FT notes: "It is not suprising that revolts across Arab world have made Beijing particularly jumpy." After all, China is a totalitarian country.

But is caught in a bind. The web aids commerce, so it cannot be shut down altogether. Instead, there are regular bouts of censorship.

This "Will ultimately prove counterproductive," says the FT. "Tampering with Google is certainly a sophisticted means to curtail web freedom. But technical strength is not enough to maintain a regime - such an act ultimately betrays Beijing's politicial vulnerability."

source: ww w.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2011/mar/23/financialtimes-china

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-8 23:38:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 468259058 at 2011-2-8 20:35
C:\>ping en.wikipedia.org
Ping text.pmtpa.wikimedia.org [208.80.152.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistic ...

how bout you move out of China and use wikipedia all you want? dont let the door hit you on the way out

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-11 08:55:15 |Display all floors
So far, I can't visit many websites including Wikipedia from time to time almost everyday.  

Of course I can figure out how to visit them at last. But I disgust the censoring system because I have to pay extra time and energy to visit them. It's like a children's game, hide and seek.

Why don't our government free the websites of the libraries and wikipedia of censoring system?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-11 09:01:42 |Display all floors
the Censoring system blocked the Voa websites when I began to learn english from the internet a few years ago.

Now, the Censoring system don't block the Voa websites anymore, however, I visited it at the night before last - the only 1 visit of the whole past year.  

Do it bring harm to Chinese? or More harm if Censoring system block such websites?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.