Author: thinksmart

Is it Time to Adopt English as China's National Language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-2-8 20:17:48 |Display all floors
I don't know if your point is to have it expressed formally by law. If you mean it, I guess it's a big nonsense because China has its own cultural heritage - and national tongue and its regional dialects are part of it - that it's quite different from the Western one.

But if you refer about the daily life, I highlight the issue that in a globalized society, there is a natural interchange flow of languages. I mean that's so normal nowadays an individual usually can speak his/her mother language and also some foreign languages.

About the obligatoriness of the English, not so long-time ago, American society were already debating over what foreign languages they should gain proficiency and they highlighted the Mandarin and the Spanish.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 20:38:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JJSydneyOZ at 2011-2-8 20:58
This is a ludicrous suggestion to adopt English as the national language.

1) Chinese characters have meaning individually. However due to the mono-syllable nature of Chinese characters, the comm ...

dude, you are so trolled
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 22:27:14 |Display all floors
Wow! That anyone outside of a western Country would even consider adopting English as a National language when even the USA has not done so is shocking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-9 00:15:36 |Display all floors
Is it Time to Adopt English as China's National Language?

NO 1, asking a nation with over 13 billion people to turn around, speak another language?
NO 2, what is the language used for? communication, well do you have a problem to speak chinese? only if chinese is not a communication language? as we know more and more people around the world are learning chinese, i believe chinese will be a global language within next 50 years, as popular as english, or even more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-9 01:04:28 |Display all floors
Hey OP whilst we are at it lets destroy all historical monuments and live on the moon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-9 02:02:48 |Display all floors

Is this a joke

You're joking, right? Just trying to stir something up? Because that has got to be the stupidest ideal in the world.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-2-9 04:16:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thinksmart at 2011-2-6 23:02
The Beijing dialect was adopted as our national language after the Xinhai Revolution, that brought the Kuomintang to power and the establishment of the Republic of China.  The adoption of the Beiji ...

It would do China the World of good

Just think, of the benefits.

You could use the Great British Pound as your national currency, get rid of that silly RMB

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.