Author: thinksmart

Is it Time to Adopt English as China's National Language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-2-8 16:23:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sansukong at 8-2-2011 18:15
Thanks   

u r welcome - what you posted was inspiring and correct.....
Man created god before god created man and the world has been in turmoil ever since. Dots freak some people out - so they join them with lines that aren't really there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 16:26:39 |Display all floors
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but has anyone noticed the effects of foreign influence on the way they speak?

I've noticed many Indians speak with English, sometimes American intonation or inflection in their speech. They often speak with more English pronounciation than native Aussies. Filipinos speak with an American and Spanish lilt. Many Africans speak with a laid back Jamaican tonality, at least in Australia. Very cool.

When I watch footage from 50 years ago, the Aussie accent sounds way more English, compared to now.

In Melbourne, you can definitely hear, at times, Greek or Middle Eastern influence in the prosody of Caucasian adolescents. I expect the same thing will happen with Chinese.

Back to topic, there are very few examples of a culture adopting a foreign language as the 1st language. Singapore is one of them. The wealth effects are obvious $$$$$$$$
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 16:32:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Everynowhere at 8-2-2011 18:03
To get back on the topic... I don't think english should be a national language or even THE national language of China, for various reasons:

1. Most people don't speak it - even in the country's ...

personally I think it is good for people regardless of who they are or where they live - to learn other languages.

one thing that goes hand in hand with learning a language is that we tend to learn something about the culture of the people and the country.

I travel as much as I can - but I am fortunate to have no financial worries and a lot of my travel encompasses business either for myself or for one government or another depending on who wants what done where.

by learning many languages I have been able to enjoy the countries I visit. no matter where you go - if you can converse with the locals they are delighted and they do seem interested that others will take the time and effort to learn their language and try to understand their culture.

Every member of the crew on my yatch is multi lingual - can you imagine some of the Scrabble games we have........ :)

learning another language is not a sign of lessened love of ones mother tongue.
Man created god before god created man and the world has been in turmoil ever since. Dots freak some people out - so they join them with lines that aren't really there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 16:38:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lebeast at 8-2-2011 18:26
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but has anyone noticed the effects of foreign influence on the way they speak?

I've noticed many Indians speak with English, sometimes American intonation or ...

not really off topic.

but you are right - multiculturalism has an effect on all of us.

one classic example is the way the english language has been changed in amerika with the influence of so many nationalities and cultures over the years.

how many of the early amerikan migrants spoke english? very few of them in fact. and the mixing of their language with what they heard from others who had english as their second language has had a "pronounced" effect (no pun intended)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 16:38:01 |Display all floors

Reply #11 soulchina's post

Why do you always make fun about China and Chinese people in a Chinese Forum?

This is your answer:

He is nothing more than an extended "foul orifice" of the "Biased Broadcasting Corporation" who
happens to be holing up under a skirt for protection in China and shooting his foul mouth
from there under. At best, he is a "Geek Burnout" !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 19:28:43 |Display all floors
This is a ludicrous suggestion to adopt English as the national language.

1) Chinese characters have meaning individually. However due to the mono-syllable nature of Chinese characters, the common expressions mostly have more than one character.

This formation of multi-characters for speaking and expressions are sufficient bases for creating 'NEW WORDS'.  There is no need for new characters at all for new meanings. This is the beauty of the Chinese language.

Many so-called new words in English are derivatives of existing words by changing the spelling a bit or by combining 2 words then cut down parts that do not need.

eg, technocrat is a combination of technological and bureaucrat and it describes someone with training in technology or sciences that works in government departments. It is a relatively new word in English and is now widely accepted and used.

The difference for Chinese is that there are literally tens of thousands of characters that are not commonly used in every day expressions. By adopting some of these characters and combining them with other more common characters, a new expression or word could be formed.

Indeed, take my own Chinese given name. I have never seen either of the 2 used in every day applications in modern days. However the two characters have been used together in the past with other characters and indeed together on their own. They might have been very rare uses, however they have meanings.

Perhaps people should look in to the largest Chinese dictionary that they could find and work out how many of the characters that they have never come across and certainly not used in their life. This will remind them that the language is more than sufficient to cover all kinds of meanings.

2) There are many characters and words in the Chinese language that do not have direct translations in English. This is the same from English to Chinese and indeed for any pair of different languages.

So how would adopting English be sufficiently provide the day to day communication needs of Chinese people when many expressions commonly used now couldn't find equivalent? In such situation, China would be a nation of mutes. This would happen hundreds of times in a day for any Chinese.

eg, The Chinese colloquial expression to encourage a team to play better in a game is  "Jia Yo"  or " Add Oil".....  Such expressions does not exist in English, so how would the translation be made? Indeed, in English there is not equivalent 'encouragement' during a sporting game.

3)  This idea of adopting English as the national language of China will be a laughing stock in the west.

Do people have no pride in their own culture and language. No languages are perfect but all are more than adequate and certainly the Chinese language has many many characters that are not used commonly. The potential to tap into these tens of thousands of character has not even been looked and yet there is this idea of adopting another language as the national language.

Where is your sense of logic if you are not that well trained in Chinese? Where is your own self-pride even if you have not swollen the dictionary (this is an English expression that perhaps does not have equivalent in Chinese- it means that someone knows a lot of words that most people do not know or even have heard of, the person is like having a dictionary inside their body).

The other day, I suggest that on the Chinese currency, there should not have any English on it at all as it is now. The reason is about national pride. No other nations I know of have another language printed on their currency.

4) Perhaps one day, the Chinese language will be the language of international trade. Think about the history.

The Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese only till the 19th century all adopted Chinese as their official language- at least in writing form. The reason was that China was a huge country and the trade in eastern Asia was conducted in Chinese. It happened that these nations did not have their own written languages in the first place, so Chinese was adopted the official language of these 3 countries.

Given the rise of China, perhaps in the next 100 years, a big chunk of international trades will be carried out in Chinese? In such case, I will say no nations will adopt Chinese as their language simply most of international trades are done in Chinese?

Why? All nations now have their own written languages so no one will adopt another language for the sake of trades.

I find this whole idea of adopting another language as national language of China an idea of highest ridicule and lowest level of intellect. Worst, it is a reflection of someone that does not have self-esteem and dignity as a person let alone a citizen of any nation.

Thanks

JJ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 19:34:08 |Display all floors
and here i was thinking of getting rid of all english language, and pin yin signs in China

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.