Author: thinksmart

Is it Time to Adopt English as China's National Language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-2-8 12:30:21 |Display all floors

Adopt english as Chinese national language? Ha ha

Ha ha, you're dreaming of the impossible dream. Low IQ.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 12:33:05 |Display all floors

Reply #9 kongque's post

You can count my vote on that.

The bloody American spell checkers mess up my essays!

ha ha ha

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 13:40:57 |Display all floors
Good idea, where can i learn English ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 13:58:02 |Display all floors

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.....!

Originally posted by seneca at 2011-2-7 14:52
Excellent essay, but I don't want English to be the 'Chinese' national language for fear of what the Chinese would do to the world's No. 1 lingua franca.

"...but I don't want English to be the 'Chinese' national language for fear of what the Chinese would do to the world's No. 1 lingua franca"

Well, if all english teachers in China are all like you then I certainly can understand your concern!

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.....!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-2-8 14:22:05 |Display all floors
Chinese is a language whose speakers are noticeably disinterested in spreading its use outside their own people. Although Chinese is not really one but several language held together by a common script, we shall disregard such finer distinctions here and call all these Chinese languages (usually and misleading called dialects) Chinese. It is a tenet of the language business that in order to penetrate a market you have to know its language. This may apply to most markets but China is different. Like any other people, the Chinese appreciate it if a foreigner makes the effort to learn their language, but they do not appreciate it if the foreigner succeeds. To tell the Chinese that their language is fiendishly difficult and practically impossible to learn, cheers up their whole day. Everybody may feel proud to have mastered something that is too complex for most others. The Chinese have elevated this feeling into a national art form. A foreigner who speaks or (worse still) writes excellent Chinese is regarded with grave suspicion. Foreign visitors to China, diplomats as well as businessmen, have been known to pretend to a far lower knowledge of the language than they actually possessed. Not unlike the Japanese, the Chinese prefer to deal with foreigners in English.

Despite its huge number of native speakers, Chinese is not an internationally influential language. Its use is concentrated in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and widespread communities all over the world, especially large ones in Southeast Asia. With its continent-size home base it seems sufficient unto itself. Chinese have been the historical language of leaning in much of the Far East and has been a major influence in the past on the Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai and some other people. Its cultural influence has declined sharply over the past few hundred years but one gets the impression that the Chinese at home have not noticed or do not care.

by George Weber

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-2-8 14:26:59 |Display all floors
Percentage of residents who completely agreed or mostly agreed with the statements:
"Children need to learn English to succeed in the world today."

Country                   %agree
Egypt                 88
France                 90
Germany                95
India                93
Pakistan                 83
Philippines                             92
Russia                 84
South Korea        91
Turkey                 89
Vietnam                98
Italy                 86
Japan                 91
Mexico                 90
source: Views of a Changing world, the pew research center for the people&The press, June 2003.

[ Last edited by 468259058 at 2011-2-8 02:28 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-2-8 14:29:34 |Display all floors

Are you a polygamist ?

Originally posted by kongque at 2011-2-8 04:24 AM

One of my wives  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.