Author: emucentral

President Hu welcomed in USA. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-1-20 19:55:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2011-1-20 19:44

China's shortcomings.....

China should negotiate with Cuba, and set up a Yankee style 'terrorist' camp.

How convenient it would be to just lock all the arseholes we don't like without tr ...

Obama is no George Bush.  Since his presidency, he has reversed many of Bush's policies at Gitmo and has been trying to shut it down.  Prisoners have gone to trial, and not military tribunals, but real trials where they are afforded defense attorneys.  

But I do agree it's a bit hypocritical.   Probably just a cold war leftover.  I think it's time we move beyond all that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:01:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lebeast at 2011-1-20 09:20 PM
I don't watch TV much at all, but tonight I saw a glimpse of the meeting. I cringed when Obama said that China needs to look at human rights. Although he is right, it was insensitive. He should hav ...

I totally agreed with you.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:02:36 |Display all floors
Every country has shortcomings, guaranteed.  President Hu is a wise & confident man for stating China’s
shortcomings.  He has earned more respect from people as a result of his admission.  It doesn’t mean
that he kowtowed to the US though, far from it. I think he conducted himself in a very dignified way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:25:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2011-1-20 20:16

Sorry, what's changed?

Have they let out, or given these 'prisoners' a fair trial?

I must have missed the news!
Yeah, do update me.

Obama has been trying from day one to close down gitmo for good.  Unfortunately, he has been met with a lot of opposition.  The plan has been to move everything stateside and follow the geneva conventions.  Many have been tried, and some released, but it's still a battle to get it closed down for good.  I actually can't believe how many people in congress have been fighting Obama on this.  His plan was to close it down as soon as he got into office.

Recent headline on the battle: Obama May Bypass Guantanamo Rules, Aides Say

Check it out if you have the time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:37:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2011-1-20 20:34

Obama is the President, elected by the God fearing, freedom loving good citizens of the United states.

'Unfortunately, he has....,,, lots of opposition"
doesn't excuse you double s ...

You won't get any arguments from me on this one.  I've opposed Guantanamo from day one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:52:18 |Display all floors
I just don't see why President Hu should take up the visit.  After all, it's the US that needs China more.
China is the banker of USA.  It just puzzles me.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 20:55:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by andr0078 at 2011-1-20 20:52
I just don't see why President Hu should take up the visit.  After all, it's the US that needs China more.
China is the banker of USA.  It just puzzles me.  

He wants better relations, so do we.  We still have issues we need to work on to make that happen.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.