Views: 4054|Replies: 17

China May Bar Local Governnments From Forcing People Out of Their Homes [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-12-16 12:56:08 |Display all floors
China may bar local governments from forcing people out of homes set to be demolished as part of its urbanization plan, according to revised draft rules on the cabinet’s website.

Local governments should use the court system instead of measures such as shutting energy and water supplies to seize the properties, according to the document released yesterday. Homeowners should also be compensated based on market rates through cash or another property, according to the draft rules, which are open for public feedback for a second time.

Disputes from the demolition of homes have led to protests from property owners and the latest draft should be revised to include land collectively owned by farmers in villages, said Sheng Hong, head of Unirule Institute of Economics, a private think tank in Beijing. The initial draft in January drew feedback from 65,601 people within two months, the government said yesterday.

So far the new rule is only targeting state-owned land, while the majority of land disputes occur on village land. How this will be handled is still open.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-16 14:22:23 |Display all floors
But what if the people do not see the court as a neutral adjudicator and though I agree that the courts should handle such situations; the more cases publicly brought to it that are decided in favor of local governments may only enforce that belief...... might this cause even more tension, possibly on a wider scale?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-12-16 16:48:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2010-12-16 15:22

China is changing, so are her institutions.

People who believe they are above the law and refuse to recognize the verdict of a court are either criminals or have sinister political ambitions. They are not better than Bobo.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-16 16:53:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2010-12-16 03:48
People who believe they are above the law and refuse to recognize the verdict of a court are either criminals or have sinister political ambitions ...

Even the case of Deng Yujiao?

Though she was released, she was still found guilty by the court........ should people that disagree with that outcome be considered criminals or "sinister" political persons?

[ Last edited by cbcronin at 2010-12-16 03:56 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-12-16 17:00:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2010-12-16 17:53

Even the case of Deng Yujiao?

I know little about her case but can't we all agree that corruption -as in this case - is not limited to Chinese courts only. I could cite you several cases from Japan and dozens from Italy. I just hate it when people want me to believe that everywhere else - in so called democracies - the world is ok and everything runs smoothly. That's just not the case, neither in the west nor the east.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-16 17:11:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2010-12-16 04:00

I know little about her case but can't we all agree that corruption -as in this case - is not limited to Chinese courts only. I could cite you several cases from Japan and dozens from Italy. I  ...

I don't disagree with you that courts in other countries have issues (even in my own)..... but this is a forum in China on an issue having to do with Chinese courts and Chinese problems.

Comparisons can and should be made, but a willingness to accept the existence of deficiencies simply because they exist elsewhere is an excuse and is counterproductive to finding real solutions.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-12-16 17:21:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2010-12-16 18:11

I'm aware that this is a  China forum. I'm also aware that this is a damned open forum where everybody can post almost everything. Quite unusual for a non-democracy, isn't it?

To make it clear, I'm not against open mindedness and I'm also not against pointing out deficiencies, what I criticize are attempts to paint the western world in pink and China in black as if we all don't know that it's often the other way around.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.