Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-5 02:37:44 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-5 02:38:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Wahahaha at 2010-12-4 10:28

Hello?  Wake up!!!!!

Your idol land of freedom has LONG been exposed as the land of fcukin hypocrites.

They USED "freedom", "demobcracy" and human r!ghts as excuses J ...

Ther'es no question that the US has made mistakes - especially with non-citizens but this all gets exposed (through wiki leaks and other news organizations)  and discussed by the citizens.    That's why transparency is so important.

The US is relatively transparent - everything done good or bad eventually comes out in the news for people to applaud or criticize.  And then citizens can vote for change if they want to.

China is relatively non-transparent.  That's all I want to change.  I strive to be the Julian Asange of the CD Forum.  Please don't accuse me of having sex with an underage prostitute.....

Quote from Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.  
Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-5 04:46:38 |Display all floors
Can someone remind me what exactly Liu Xiaobo is doing for anybody? Other than being really good at spreading his message to nobody (in Chinese terms) and getting arrested? It's like that Cuban guy who won an award for his "numerous hunger strikes" in Cuba...not very good at hunger strikes then, seeing as he didn't exactly starve the first time around, let alone the tenth.

Liu Xiaobo is living in a bubble. I'd understand if democracy was truly any different to single party rule. Anyone who has not established that we have absolute minimum input in anything a democratic government actually does is living a lie. They do what they want to do at the end of the day, whoever they are.
Under single party rule China may be, but the fact is it is a government that is bringing more people out of poverty like no other nation in the history of mankind. It's a nation that is on course to being on the same level as the USA in an incredibly short amount of time also. When it comes to suppression of religion (one of the main issues), I agree...look at America, where it's literally going wild, taking money from millions of naive people, and the middle east, where children blow themselves up. China is doing the right thing...it's not them that will take people's humanity away, it's people doing things on behalf of their "gods" that will ultimately do that.

People like Liu Xiaobo might strike a chord with a lot of 'freedom loving' people, but he's just a clown.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-5 07:36:56 |Display all floors
Can someone remind me what exactly Liu Xiaobo is doing for anybody?

He's thinking and sharing his thoughs. What were all the other philosophers and critics doing for us? Would our lives be worse if there had never been a, say, Aristotle?
Philosophers don't change the world. They also usually don't invent new technologies. But they analyse and suggest - and therefore influence culture. And culture is a far greater power than the power of agenda setting or decision making the government holds - it gives governments their power, keeps systems in place - and this is why the government fears it. China was founded itself upon a resolution and most Chinese leaders still remember that.
If Liu would be so powerless, would there be any reason for a raising great power like China to fear a small, ill guy like him?

However, I can't fully understand the government's reaction. If I were in their shoes, I would have just proved his arguments wrong and afterwards ignored him - this might have been a better approach (although the gov can't change it now). But maybe I am also not able to see certain aspects of his actions and their possible influence - I'm sure the guys in the Chinese gov must have their reasons too.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-12-5 10:01:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Everynowhere at 2010-12-5 07:36
However, I can't fully understand the government's reaction. If I were in their shoes, I would have just proved his arguments wrong and afterwards ignored him - this might have been a better approach (although the gov can't change it now).  ...

Agree.
People got to hear like that he did sth to overthrow the government from former Xinhua news report,
But now it turns nothing when we use Baidu, Google search engine to get information about Liu. everything, even Xinhua news report,  is blocked from odinary people.So odinary people dont know what exactly happened. how did Liu overthrow our government?
If government want to leave the odinary people aside from policy making and many other government decisions, so called master government officials, so called servants the people, Then the present censorship is good.
If government really think seriously about so called People are the master, government officals are the servants. then let the ordinary people ask questions and involve  in the decision making process.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-12-5 10:10:19 |Display all floors
Many posters call Liu and other people are D o g s, in Chinese "Zou Gou"meaning traitors.
I think you made your judgement after you had gotten enough information.
How can you get access to information while the censorship Blocked anything in Chinese relate to Liu, even Xinhua news reports, from ordinary people?
I didn't know any thing about Liu before the Noble Peace Prize. And I have ever read a news report in English that the top leader "president" Ma yingjiu had ever congratulated Liu and said he is a good guy.
why? no information? how to judge?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.